We bathe in the Styx

Percy's POV

"Sounds fun..." I muttered.

"This is no joke," Nico warned. "There is only one way to stay anchored to your mortal life. You have to..."

He glanced behind me and his eyes widened. I turned and found myself face-to-face with a Greek warrior.

For a second I thought he was Ares because this guy looked exactly like the god of war but what stuck out was...well the bloody arrow that stuck out of his left calf, just above the ankle.

Now I suck at Greek names, but even I knew the greatest warrior of all time, who had died from a wounded heel.

"Achilles," I said.

The ghost nodded. "I warned the other one not to follow my path. Now I will warn you."

"Luke? You spoke with Luke?" Skye asked, her blue eyes shone dimly in the Underworld's light.

"Do not do this," Achilles said. "It will make you powerful. But it will also make you weak. Your prowess in combat will be beyond any mortal's, but your weaknesses, your failings will increase as well."

"You mean I'll have a bad heel?" I said. "Couldn't I just, like, wear something besides sandals? No offense."

"Percy," Skye elbowed me.

Achilles stared down at his bloody foot. "The heel is only my physical weakness, demigod. My mother, Thetis, held me there when she dipped me in the Styx. What really killed me was my own arrogance... Beware! Turn back!"

He meant it. I could hear the regret and bitterness in his voice. He was honestly trying to save me and my girlfriend from a terrible fate.

Then again, Luke had been here, and he hadn't turned back.

That's why Luke had been able to host the spirit of Kronos without his body disintegrating. This is how he'd prepared himself, and why he seemed impossible to kill. He had bathed in the River Styx and taken on the powers of the greatest mortal hero, Achilles. He was invincible.

"We have to," Skye said. Achilles turned his head to her, looking her up and down as she spoke. "Otherwise we don't stand a chance."

Achilles lowered his head. "Let the gods witness I tried. Heroes, if you must do this, concentrate on your mortal point. Imagine one spot of your body that will remain vulnerable. This is the point where your soul will anchor your body to the world. It will be your greatest weakness, but also your only hope. No man..." He paused, "Or woman... may be completely invulnerable. Lose sight of what keeps you mortal, and the River Styx will burn you to ashes. You will cease to exist."

"I don't suppose you could tell me Luke's mortal point?" I inquired.

He scowled. "Prepare yourself, foolish boy. Whether you survive this or not, you have sealed your doom!"

With that happy thought, he vanished.

"Maybe he's right..." Nico muttered.

"This was your idea," Skye snapped, glaring at the son of Hades.

"I know, but now that we're here-"

"Just wait on the shore. If anything happens... Well, maybe Hades will get his wish, and you'll be the child of the prophecy after all." I said, looking between Skye and the dark waters of the Styx.

Nico didn't look pleased about that, but I didn't care.

I took Skye's hand and looked down into her blue eyes. She was worried, I could see it written on her features, as she looked off at the water.

"Hey, look at me."

She hesitated for a moment but then met my eyes. "This is stupid..." She whispered.

I tried to give her a reassuring smile. "Just keep your eyes on me. This isn't the stupidest thing I've dragged you into-"

"Yes, it is."

"Okay maybe it is...but... We'll get through this." I leaned down and placed my forehead against hers. "Together."

She let out a breath and nodded slowly.