𝘾𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 16.5 - 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝘽𝙞𝙣𝙙𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙎𝙥𝙚𝙡𝙡

The fireplace crackled, lighting the dark room that typically sat abandoned. The library was the last place Taeyong liked to spend his time, and yet here he was. He was doing so many things the past Taeyong would scoff at. Frankly, past and present Taeyong were not the same. Not in the slightest.

Taeyong couldn't help but to think about how much he had changed, in such a short amount of time. Just a few days ago, life was normal running the underworld. How could one soul come in and flip it all upside down?

His very weak body and lack of powers made life different, and hard. And his mindset, it was completely different. For hours, and hours, until he lost track of time, Taeyong sat on the floor beside the unconscious Jaehyun, the spell book in hand trying to find a way to bring the lost soul back. He never expected to be here doing this, let alone emotional all the while.

Taeyong's fingertips were raw from flipping through pages and pages searching for answers, but more importantly, a spell to bring the man back. He didn't stop though. Taeyong didn't know what he was feeling, he was confused but knew he couldn't just let the soul leave, to take his powers and livelihood and leave. It just couldn't be.

So he pushed on. Sometimes tears fell from his firey red eyes, and sometimes he yelled in frustration into the echoing library. And sometimes, when feeling particularly like his world was crashing down, he took a look to his side at Jaehyun. Jaehyun. It was a pretty name, a name he kept on repeat in his head, and a name he'd never forget.

It was when he finally came across a spell that may work, but it came with its own risks. To tie their souls together. Could he really do that? All of a sudden?

There wasn't many instances that the spell had ever been used, at least none that came to Taeyong's mind. All the reigning leaders of the underworld had ruled on their own, only a small number ever having partners. And they weren't even real partners. More like, business partners.

Taeyong knew Jaehyun wasn't sent to him to help him rule the underworld, the universe didn't lie. They were soulmates according to the universe. They weren't business partners, agreeing to run Hell together. They'd be, well, real partners. Taeyong didn't know what it meant, what their future could possibly. He didn't know if he could see himself truly loving the man, in a romantic way.

Taeyong sighed, looking over to the unconscious man, wondering if it would be worth searching on for a different spell, or to just settle with the soul binding one. What could be so bad? They already shared powers, such little would truly change.

Taeyong weighed the pros and cons, knowing the unconscious man will likely wake up in confusion, and likely fear. And more so, he'd have no consent in this. But Taeyong knew deep down, this may be the only way to save him. And after all, the decision was already made by the universe, this is just him sealing the deal, right?

The decision weighed heavily on Taeyong's tired shoulder, his eyes tired but nonetheless finding the will to water and leak more tears. Tears. Taeyong felt as though he had came to hate them. He had never cried before, and in such a short amount of time, he found that he hated them. Despised them.

Taeyong reach over to the sprawled out body to his side, Jaehyun appearing as though he was merely sleeping, but Taeyong knew better. Jaehyun's soul likely was floating around an unclaimed section, somewhere between the living world and the underworld where souls were, well nothing. Taeyong's heart wrenched at the thought, how scared the man must be. He was a stranger to him, but he was also his soulmate, apparently.