Trost

...

"That's it! We are done!" Ian said as the grand bell that stood over the gate ringed loudly, signaling the end of the evacuation," Now scale the wall!" he ordered the juniors under his charge.

"I should to help the Vanguard retreat, sir." Mikasa said bolting in the other direction.

Gon and Killua shared a meaningful glance and followed right after her.

" Ackraman, Zoldyck! Wait!" Ian Dietrich yelled after them, but his voice fell on deaf ears.

Mikasa's eyes widened a fraction when she realized the other two were following her, a faint frown appeared on her face.

"Killua, Gon, you don't have to follow me, you can scale the wall." she said.

"Not a chance!" Gon declined," There is no way I can just stand around without helping the others."

"Let's just get this over with." Killua said, anxiously glancing back at the wall," The entire evacuation took around tow hours. Who knows how many of our batch died."

Gon frowned a bit," Killua..." he trailed off.

Even if none of them said it, they knew it was the truth. Countless soldiers have lost their lives to buy the citizens time for the evacuation.

The trio paused at the top of a tower to look for their comrades, but all three of them frowned when they noticed something strange.

"Why isn't anyone going over the wall?" Gon asked his voice low.

"They must have heard the signal, so why are they standing around?" Mikasa added.

After looking around for a moment, the pale haired boy hummed in understanding," They are short on supplies." he said, pointing to the supply warehouse that was swarmed by titans along with their head quarters.

"Oh no." Gon said.

The pale haired boy noticed a familiar head between the crowd on the rooftops and quickly made his way towards them.

"Jean, Connie!" he called jogging up to them followed closely by Gon.

"Killua, Gon, weren't you guys with the rear? What are you doing here?" Connie asked.

The pale haired boy ignored him asking his own question," What happened to the supply depo?" he asked.

Gon nodded," Yes, what's going on?" he asked.

Jean didn't bother to answer and Connie looked down hopelessly," They all lost their will to fight. They are cooped up in HQ." he said.

"It's hopeless." Jean said.

Killua hummed understandingly," Hm, so you all are here waiting for your doom, eh?" he asked not looking impressed at all.

With a disapproving scowl Gon walked past his bestfriend and put his hand on Jean's shoulder," Don't lose hope just yet. We came to help. We gotta keep it together if we are gonna find a way out of this." he said smiling reassuringly.

"Gon," Killua called, nodding his head towards the rooftop Mikasa and Armin are on.

"...squad 34, Thomas Wagner, Nack Tierce, Milieus Zeremski,  Mina Carolina, Eren Jeager. These brave five upheld their duties...they died valiantly on the field of battle." Armin said, his voice shaking with tears as he lowered his head in shame, unable to look at Mikasa.

"What?" Gon said, his face losing color ," Eren is dead?" he asked, shaking his head in denial.

They didn't spend a lot of time with the other cadets, but their batch have welcomed them warmly. Eren was exceptionally enthusiastic about getting to know them. He was curious about how they had survived outside the wall.