Chapter Twelve: Part Two

REYCE

Kryssa's screams were ripping through my soul, stripping all that was good in the world from me until there was nothing left but ugliness. I shook with fear and rage and bitter hatred, her pain building like a crescendo in my head.

My hand was clenched around the dagger on my belt, the cool hilt comforting in my grip. I knew how much it had grieved Brannyn to part with it, how much he treasured it for the memory of our family when it was happy. I envied him the remembrance, for all of my memories were of fear. How many times had my father shouted that he hated me for killing my mother, when I would have given anything for him to have looked at me even once with love?

Kryssa's hoarse screams tortured me, scattering my thoughts. I had no memory of my mother, only of Kryssa's face. Her words, soft and gentle; even my first memory was of her voice in my mind.

Please wake up. Come back to us.

I loved her as I would have loved my mother, and clung to her comfort whenever I was afraid. She was my protector, strong and fair and wonderful.

And he was killing her.

The Lady had spoken of great darkness- but how could I face it, when I was so afraid of the shadow that haunted my life? I was too weak, too timid, unable to stare down the monster that was hurting my sister, shouting savage curses over her cries.

I closed my eyes and summoned my will. I do not want to be afraid.

My mind calmed, my thoughts suddenly clear of all but purpose as I stood and walked to the door. I shoved Brannyn and Lanya aside somehow, and opened it, only dimly aware of the fear on their faces as they staggered away from me. I could feel their minds, faint and distant as they reached toward mine, but my thoughts were hard like diamonds, and I could not hear them.

The dagger was clenched in my hand as I stepped into the great room, and I gazed at the man beating Kryssa, knowing that his reign of terror and hate had at last come to an end.

I would not let my sister die.

KRYSSA

There is a moment, on the brink of certain death, where we suddenly remember strange things. It was there that I found the memory of my mother, her sapphire eyes holding mine as she faded away. Kryssa, you'll take care of them for me, won't you? Promise me you will.

I'm sorry, Mama. I failed. I can't protect them from this. You left me alone, and now I'm going to die.

The blows stopped, abruptly.

I was too beaten to move, my back wet and warm. Heat hammered against my face. Someone was speaking to me, but their words were far away, echoing in my mind until they were jumbled and confusing.

Kryssa! Kryssa, we have to go!

Lanya? My mind wavered at the edge of oblivion, struggling to escape. I knew I should protect her from my torment, but I could no longer remember why.

Brannyn, you have to come get her. I don't think she can stand.

I can't. Reyce.

Reyce? The fear in his voice pulled me back from the lake of nothingness my mind threatened to drown in. My skin was too hot, and my lungs began to ache. What's happened to Reyce?

I could feel their reluctance, their hesitation. It frightened me, so that I fought through the waves of pain, uncurling myself on the floor and pushing myself to my knees. Reyce?

My eyes hurt to open. The light was wrong, staggered black shadows and intense reddish flames. My hands touched something slick and wet and dark, and I followed the line of it, oddly detached, to where it pooled beneath the fallen form of my father. The hilt of a dagger, dazzling in the strange light, protruded from his back.

I choked, and shuddered. His chest moved, faintly, and I looked away, unable to understand what I was seeing. Reyce? Even in my head, I sounded shrill and terrified.

Leave him. The white light of his thoughts was brutal and cold, and chilled me to my bones even in the oppressive heat. Let him die. It's the same as he would do for us. As he almost just did to you.

"Reyce," I croaked, tears running down my cheeks, burning as they found the scratches on my face. I had failed to protect him; I had failed my promise.

The monster had won, after all.

Lanya's hands were on my arms, struggling to help me rise, her golden, gentle touch insistent as she urged me to hurry. Agony crashed over me like a wave, and I retched, my body violently protesting movement.

Brannyn, you have to help her, she can't-

My mind struggled to focus. Something was wrong with the light; it was too bright for candles, in the wrong area for the fireplace. Why couldn't I remember?

Brannyn!

I'm coming, but you have to take Reyce.

Reyce. The darkness tried to swallow me. Reyce, what have you done?

He won't hurt you anymore. That blank, furious coldness, hurting me, making me gasp, so that I coughed and choked as the stench of smoke filled my senses, each spasm unbearable.

Then Brannyn was beside me, lifting me gently. Comforting darkness washed over me, and at last I knew no more.