Chapter 20: The Calm Before The Storm

—Home—

Y/N stood alone in his room, staring blankly out the orphanage windows.

He watched as all the kids played outside and the adults walked together in the streets. All with smiles on their faces.

Pressing a hand against the glass, Y/N wished to stay, but that was impossible. He knew this bliss wouldn't last forever.

Suddenly as if controlled, everyone outside stopped in their tracks and spun on their heels, each one of them facing the teen.

Black mist blew by and one by one, drained each and every one of them of all life. The green grass charred away, smiles lost, potential stolen and homes burnt down.

Now all that remained were hollow shells.

????: You did this.

???: It's your fault.

????: You killed us.

Now all that remained was nothing.

Y/N: I'm sorry...
-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-
—Beacon Academy Dormitories—

He opened his eyes, revealing their silver color.

Leaning over the side of his bed, Y/N saw that it was early in the morning.

Y/N: *sigh*

Jumping out of bed, he took a shower, brushed his teeth and got dressed for school.
________________________________

Stepping out of his room, he was greeted by a familiar pair of lilac eyes and a mess of blonde hair.

Yang: Morning hero!

He stared at her blankly.

Y/N: Uh, I'm sorry?

With her signature grin, Yang handed Y/N a newspaper. With his bruised and battered face on the front page. The headline read: Vale Finds Hero in Beacon First Year!

Y/N: *sigh* Seriously?

He lowered the paper and started walking down the hall towards the cafeteria with Yang accompanying him.

Yang: Aw, come on, keep reading!

Rolling his eyes, Y/N relented. Reading the page he tried his hardest to suppress an eye roll.

Y/N: They forgot to mention the other Beacon first years and Huntsmen who also contributed to the safety of Vale...

Yang: Oh! Actually, that's the next page!

Curious, Y/N flipped the page to another picture. This one was apparently taken during the battle as it showed Team RWBY and JNPR with a load of other students fighting the Grimm. The only person who had actually smiled for the photo was Nora, who had posed with a Beowolf.

The headline read: Beacon Field Trip Takes a Grim Turn! It then went on to mention Torchwick, The White Fang and the heroics of the students of Beacon.

Y/N: That's neat.

Yang: That's it? I thought you'd be happy seeing yourself on the newspaper.