Chapter One Hundred and Thirty - Spring Continues to Deepen

Start bij het begin

"Did you wait long, beloved?" Ren Zexian asked him, softly having already noted the worry in his lover's sparkling blue eyes. Ever since he'd been injured by a mutated raven in the previous week, the anxieties within his beloved had once more risen to the surface of his being, causing a renewed need to remain beside him. Of course, it was impossible for them to remain shoulder to shoulder, hip to hip always for the each had their own duties, thus Ren Zexian could only reassure him, informing him of his location when away and trying to remain prompt, returning to him at the first possible moment.

He placed the basket of eggs upon the wheelbarrow then allowed Nathan to carefully clean his hands with his waters. Once dry, he reached to touch Nathan's face and the youth leaned into them like a small kitten seeking warmth. They exchanged a brief kiss then Ren Zexian began to move the wheelbarrow, the smile upon his face a reflection of that on his adorable lover's.

He found that while he regretted his carelessness with that blazing red bird caused Nathan to worry, he couldn't help but enjoy the youth's stickiness.

They pushed the wheelbarrow the length of two large front gardens and around two large houses, the numerous patches of squishy mud not much of a hindrance with Ren Zexian's strength and finally they reached the kitchen. Then Nathan acted strangely, tearing off a few vivid green leaves from the cauliflower heads, before tugging Ren Zexian to follow him then retreating to a nearby garden bed, one that happened to be filled with herbs.

Some of these herbs had been forced to survive within a blanket of white all winter, but had come back stronger, leaving the weak ones to die quietly and return to the soil. Others were seedlings, volunteers from the previous year's flowering herbs and welcome additions to the gardens. Each leaf was tender and each stem was sweet, but they remained unplagued by unwelcome visitations.

Nathan brushed past many plants, releasing various aromas into the air, such as the strong scent of mint and the slightly spicy smell of the chives, lifting bushy leaves and peering under, until he paused at an abundant carpet of time. There, he placed the rich leaves from the cauliflower. A small, slimy and silvery body appeared, tugging a vividly golden shell upon its back as it was lured forward by the scent of the cauliflower leaves. It's bulbous eyes upon their eye stalks seemed to move briefly towards Nathan's direction, before it slowly moved onto the leaves to eat.

Ren Zexian quickly understood; this little snail was a mutation of its kind, but likely not any sort. It had begun to cultivate! Indeed, this had once been an ordinary thing for him to come across, for most beasts absorbed some sort of spiritual essence in his previous world and naturally evolved in the process. While only a few would develop to the point of consciously cultivating, there had been an incalculable number of beasts so even a tiny percent of cultivating beasts would outweigh that of human cultivators. Just that these spiritual beasts were sought after by human cultivators to improve their own bases as well as the natural competition for territory, power and such like amongst beasts, thus the numbers were kept from exploding and overwhelming the cultivation world.

Presumably, this little snail's intelligence had evolved first, thus its ability to learn. Likely, it was also territorial, guarding this rich, but small space from other predators hence these herbs were abundant and untroubled for the most part. And herbs, even these mundane sort, generally had some spiritual nature to begin with. Blessed with Nathan's waters regularly, this area was heady with spiritual energy compared with surrounding areas. The little snail naturally enjoyed these advantages and unknowingly provided benefits for its landlords as well.

The wheelbarrow was emptied of vegetables and filled instead with compostable waste; Nathan had already mentioned that he planned to fill those distant beds with fresh compost, ready to plant early some summer cropping plants and frost tender plants that they could enjoy some harvests ahead of the usual time. Not everything, mind you, Ren Zexian had learned that some plants were just too fussy and that the unheated room would still be too cold for some plants to live in. Others might complain a bit, but they wouldn't die and they'd be protected from late frosts as well.

"Whatever you wish, beloved," Ren Zexian agreed, warmly and was rewarded with a brilliant, bright smile. His eyes darkened and throat became dry, but he did not reveal the sudden temptation that smile wrought.

There were many, many compost bins that seemed to conform with a mathematical equation that experienced gardeners could comprehend, while others could just agree that it did indeed work. The waste was placed into a specific compost bin, while in a different one, rich dark spoil teaming with life awaited. Ren Zexian helped his lover fill the wheelbarrow and later, they would return to the bins to fill them with either dried grass clippings or leaf mulch; Nathan would know.

But when they were done, Nathan would likely have smears of dirt here and there and where he was happy and unaware of the mess one minute, he would become uncomfortable and insist on a shower in the next. This was not meant to be an invitation, but it was purposefully interpreted as one. Nathan did not complain until after he discovered that they had slept through the hour he preferred to eat his dinner.

Author's note; Sorry for the disappearance, this month has been a full one so far.  I'm endlessly trying to encourage myself to find sometime to write and the stop procrastinating when I do.