Chapter 20

Tommy didn't know how long it had been. He didn't know what time it was at all. The doctors won't let him leave until they had gotten just a bit better, but even then he wouldn't be allowed to leave his bed. And that was what made him anxious. He wasn't even allowed to see Toby's house.

"Tommy?" A nurse walked into the room, she looked very calm and nice. "You're father is here to see you."

The boy went to sit up, wincing from the pain. "Dad?"

The nurse moved out of the way and let a very worried dad walk in. Phil's hair was a mess, like he had been running, and his shirt looked all wrinkled. He looked like he had been crying.

"Tommy!" Phil yelled running into the room and almost jumping on him.

Tommy winced from the pain when his father grabbed him. He rested his head against his dad's shoulder after Phil had let go of him a little bit. He was so happy to see his father, even though he didn't show it.

"Hey, dad." Tommy quietly said, letting his eyes close. "Happy birthday."

Phil giggled a little, pulling away to look Tommy in the eyes. "You're a little shit, did you know that?"

Tommy chuckled, burying his face into his father's chest. "I know."

Tommy could feel his father smile when his head was on his. He smiled as well, happy to see his dad. Phil was gone for a week, making Techno and Wilbur in charge of him, so he was happy to see a familiar face.

"Where's your brothers?" Phil asked, Tommy could feel his head move to look around the room.

"Wilbur went back to the house to go speak with Sally, and Techno went to the store to grab me a snack since this hospital gives me nothing." Tommy explained, his voice sounding a little angry in that last wording.

His father let out a small chuckle again. Tommy had always loved hearing that. He had always loved the laughter of other people once he said something that was deserving of that. He especially loved Toby's laugh.

Toby's laugh was so bright and powerful. It was like the entire world lit up every time. It was Tommy's favorite thing.

A slight knocking came from the door. The two turned around to be met with a smiling Pete. He looked like he hadn't taken a shower yet, and he looked worried as well. Pete has a slight smile on his face, holding something behind his back.

"Pete?" Phil spoke, letting one of his arms free from Tommy's back. "What're you doing here?"

"I came to see if the kid was alright." Pete said, walking into the room and standing before the two. "Those are some cool bandages, kid."

Tommy placed his hand down on his entirely wrapped arm. "T-thank you, Pete."

Pete's smile got wider.

Phil stood up and looked his old friend in the eyes. "Whatcha got there, mate?" He asked as he pointed at the thing behind Pete's back.

"Oh," Pete said, starting to pull out the thing he was holding. Tommy couldn't believe what he saw. ", I found this in the house, well, what's left of it."

There, in Pete's hands, was a perfectly salvaged, and clean, bee plush. It's eyes still has bright as they were the first time Tommy had made eye contact with them. It's wings still clean and fine. The bee didn't even look like it had been in that fire.

Tears came to Tommy's eyes after a couple seconds of looking at the toy. It felt like it had been years since he seen that toy and now he sat in front of it, crying.

Tommy outstretched his arms as Pete did the same, handing the bee to him. The boy held it close in his arms, snuggling up to it and letting his tears damping the cheeks of the toy. He was so relieved to see that plush. It had survived.

"Tommy-" Phil spoke, about to comfort his son, but stopped once he saw that Tommy started to smile.

"You lived." Tommy whispered to the toy, shaking as he held the bee harder. "Do you hear me, Toby? You lived..."

Tommy buried his head into the toy. He felt bad for letting his tears damping the bee, but was too relieved to see the toy. He was too happy to know that Toby was still with him.

As he squeezed the bee tighter, something grabbed his shoulder. Tommy glanced up and saw that both his dad and Pete weren't near him. It felt like the touch of a long lost friend.

Tommy felt tears of joy free from his eyes, and he smiled.