Chapter 25 - Asylum

Cotton padded over the cracking concrete walls in small lumps like once plush cushions. Water dripping from the lake above helped the temperature stay below 0, drafts running through like a whisper of bad luck.

Hair, cherry red, was unruly, matted and down from its usual high bun which would mimic the top two bumps of a heart. Her once ruby lips were now dry and bare, almost blending with her s/c skin, eyes half-hooded with large bags under. The thin fabric she now called clothes were sleeve-less and reached to her shins, more like a sack rather than a dress.

The bright smile you'd see everyday was now a fallen and absent frown, no more joy and light radiating off her as you would usually see no matter what had happened. She was never insane, everyone thought she was but they failed to differ insanity from a woman full of life.

The team had decided to stay behind, letting only Loki follow which you thanked. So, with him by your side, a single encouraging kiss to your temple set you forth to approach the cell. "Mother," you mutter to her, seeing her behind the bars of thorn coated vines.

"I wish for no more of this torment," she whispers with a small sniffle. "Rid me of this torture, I beg of you,"

"Mother, it's me," persistence in your voice made her glance up, blinking in shock. "Hi," you murmur in disbelief.

"Y/n?" Weary shakes in her voice started to crack more when you nod, the basket dropping at your side as she scurries over to the vines. With both your bodies knelt down, her hands reached out to hold yours. "Oh, my sweet child, I'm so sorry," she sobs out, "I'm so sorry, Y/n,"

"No, no, no, why are you sorry?- Open the cell!" You order which the guard allows. Once they grew away from their intricate swirls, the queen was able to hug you at last.

"I wasn't able to stop him- I tried to convince the court- they called me crazy- I thought you had died-" she rambles out in short spouts followed by a soft wail. "He said you were dead... that I would never see you again-"

"Mother, what are you talking about? Who said I was dead?" Holding her face in your hand, she looks up after wiping her cheeks.

"Your father,"

In a place where time worked differently, it still was a drastic change when it all stopped. Your body went numb and face fell into nothing but complete and utter... betrayal. He had never loved you, this I was obvious before, but this? This really hurt.

He planned to banish you- he succeeded in fact! His hopes high for your heart to take its last best and lungs letting go of the last breath.

He wished for your death.

And why? Because of the blood coursing through your vein? The red tinted royalty in your DNA?

You were a Hearts, and apparently that was a good enough reason to plan your murder... that's why that page was missing! That's why he expressed such confusion from your return.

"He- he's not my father," you murmur put as she wipes away a single tear.

"Oh, Y/n, I'm so sorry," her arms pulled you into her hold, making sure you could let out every single sob out.

Loki heard every word, his blood boiling and heart breaking. Of everyone in the vast multiverse, you deserved this the least. Your heart was slowly being poisoned by neglect, and now he knew why you were how you were when you both first met.

A dismissive father, loving mother, yet a broken soul. A court who saw only the bad, and citizens torn to create a large weight on the next heirs shoulders.

On your shoulders.

You wanted the throne.

But you also wanted to be loved.

You were, but you didn't know how much.

"Who is this?" The woman's eyes met the god's, head tilting before she smiles widely. "Your majesty,"

"No need for that, let me be the one to address you as higher," he bows softly as you looked to him. "I didn't mean to interrupt, forgive me,"

"No, no, don't worry," holding your hand out, he chuckles lightly and kneels down with you.

"I'm very sorry for all that has happened, but we mustn't waste time," he drags the basket over. "These are for your enjoyment, I suppose you know of your..."

"Execution, yes," your mother chuckles lightly.

"Hopefully these books provide an escape for you before your final moments," Loki held out two books and the letter.

"Just a small letter before we leave, I made sure to spell everything right," you kiss her cheek. "I love you,"

"I love you too, my dear," she rubs your cheek softly. "Take very good care of her," your mother looks to Loki, pinching his cheek.

"I will, don't worry," he nods. "You have a wonderful smile, your majesty, could rival the Cheshire cat's,"

Her eyes darted back and forth between you both and the letter. Her lips tugging up into a thankful smile once you both left the cell. No other words were exchanged as she watched the vines spiral back to complete her confines.

With his arm slung over your shoulder, there was no surprise when you flushed into his chest, the cold damp ground pattering below your shoes stopping. He dared not to say anything, keeping his head rested on yours as light kisses were placed over and over, long moments between.

"Let's get out of here, how about some tea and biscuits in the library? Just distract your mind a little?" He hums. "She will be okay, my darling, I promise,"

~~~

:,,)

:,,)

Also imagine The Queen how you want

I won't describe her as Helena's like some of you had mentioned because there are POC reading this and it wouldn't be as inclusive

- Anna ❤️