chapter nineteen

You didn't have to wake up the next morning - you were already awake. It was a situation you hadn't found yourself in in a pretty long time. Usually, you could power through, just take it like a woman, but last night had been too much. It went beyond just seeing Bucky's actions. It crossed into a territory of feeling his shame, his hatred towards himself. You didn't think that was going to leave you anytime soon.

Due to the fact you were back on a regular schedule at work, you couldn't ponder it. You felt like you had slipped back into the cycle except this time you were actually in contact with your soulmate. The prospects of it getting better fluctuated.

After a quick shower, you tossed your bag together and began making your way out of the apartment. You were opening this morning at the shop alone and maybe that was for the best. No one needed to see you this exhausted. A couple - or dozen - shots of espresso should have you up and running for the morning rush.

But when you began descending down the apartment building steps, you noticed a looming figure waiting on the sidewalk, looking towards the street. Your heart sank as you raced to the door.

"Bucky?" You called out. He perked up, turning his head quickly towards you. He was sporting a bit of a black eye and cut above his lip. It was, without a doubt, him. You broke off into a run, throwing your arms around his neck. He welcomed it, pulling you in by your waist. You could feel yourself suddenly begin to weep.

"It's me, doll," he mumbled into your hair. His grip on you got tighter.

"Are... Are you okay?" You asked as you pulled your head away from his chest to look up, inspecting the damage on his lovely face. His expression was sad and heavy. "I-I saw-"

But he cut you off before you could go any further, "I'm fine." He knew what you saw. There was no need to dig up the grave.

You were relieved both regarding the fact you didn't have to explain anything and that your soulmate was okay - or at least going to be. You relaxed slightly.

"I'm so glad," you said. And you meant it wholeheartedly. "That was it, right? Those days are..."

Bucky nodded. "Yeah, sweetheart. Hopefully, everything's going to be a little bit easier now. Steve is passing along the news. From my understanding it's going to take a little negotiating but... the Winter Soldier is going to be out of commission." He let out a weak laugh but you didn't find that last statement humoring.

"I never thought of you as the Winter Soldier. Not really Not - Not genuinely." You sighed, your hand coming up to the non-injured side of his face. "You're just Bucky. My Bucky. My soulmate."

Bucky gave a small nod but from his eyes, you could tell he wasn't fully convinced. He changed the subject swiftly, "Are you okay?"

You removed your arms from around his neck, almost wanting to put distance between you two, but Bucky wasn't exactly letting up yet with an iron grip still on your waist. You settled for resting your hands on his chest.

"I'm going to be," you shrugged. You just wanted to be honest. "Maybe it'll take a minute or two but it'll be alright. We're going to be alright."

Bucky gave a small smile in agreement before finally letting you out of his hold. He took a step back and then offered her arm towards you. You frowned, confused.

"What?" He scoffed. "Did you expect me to just show up and not walk you to work?"

You couldn't help the smile that began spreading quickly across your lips. Without a second thought, you wrapped your hands around his bicep, moving in close to his strong body as you two started on the path towards the coffee shop.