chapter seven

Your giddiness from the morning carried into the afternoon. You felt like you were floating half the time. The orders flying in flew out too as you moved flawless and happily through your work. Even when some customers would come up insisting their drink wasn't correct, you accepted the complaint and happily presented a fresh cup. It was impeccable. A combination of feeling rested and feeling like you had someone.

You were at the tail-end of a rush when Steve came into the shop. He didn't get in line, though, and instead took the last seat at the counter, watching you float about cheerfully.

You glanced up from the espresso machine. "Good morning, Steve."

"Good morning," he greeted back, watching you froth some milk for the newly brewed espresso.

You started pouring the milk into the cup, moving your hand delicately attempting to create some kind of pattern. "No coffee today?"

Steve shook his head as you placed the order under the pick-up sign and called out the name on the cup. You had a second to breathe and placed yourself back in front of Steve.

"I actually came to see how everything was going."

You playfully rolled your eyes, a little smirk tugging at your lips. "I may be new to the whole soulmate thing but I am not clueless when it comes to friends. I'm sure Bucky is sharing everything." You turned to start wiping down your workspace.

Steve frowned, "Bucky hasn't told me anything."

Your movements stopped. Brows furrowed in confusion, you asked, "He hasn't said anything about me?"

Steve shook his head. "I just think he's nervous. Probably wants to keep you for himself right now. I hear some soulmates can get like that at first."

"Oh," you hummed. "Well I can try to fill you in but there's not much to discuss really. It's only been like a day. Dinner was lovely, though. Thank you for that, by the way." Steve smiled. You continued, "He walked me home that night which was very kind, and then this morning he surprised me. He was waiting outside my apartment building to walk me to work."

Steve's jaw went slack. "Bucky walked you to work? Here?"

You nodded, maybe a bit too enthusiastically but you couldn't help yourself. "We had a lovely walk and chatted along the way." He stared at you as if waiting. "Steve, I'm not going to tell you what we talked about."

Steve let out a light chuckle, throwing his hands up dramatically in defeat. "Alright, alright," he said, "I won't pry but can you blame a man for trying? My best friend is finally learning about his soulmate. That's big for anyone but for Bucky in particular..."

You couldn't help the blush creeping up on your face for what felt like the millionth time today. It was one thing to hear stuff from Bucky but to get an outsider's perspective, well, that was a rush. You held a little bit of pride from it as well.

"Well, thanks for getting us together," you smiled, turning to wipe down a coffee machine.

"You're not mad at me for the ambush?"

"Oh, no, I'm very mad about that." You said, pointedly, as you glanced over back at Steve. He still had a shit-eating grin on his lips, not even an ounce of sorriness came off him.

"Well, once again, can you blame me? How else was I supposed to get you two to actually talk? Besides, I'm not actually hearing any complaints from you about it."

Darn. He got you there. You sighed with a small nod and faced Steve once more. "No, of course, I'm not complaining," you admitted, "you're just lucky it turned out well."