chapter twelve

"They couldn't take that from me. They could never take you."

"I never want to bring you pain or worry, okay? That shouldn't be what... we do."

Bucky's words rang in your head as you sat in the lonesome cell, fighting for release any way you thought to try. But naturally, these attempts of wrangling yourself out of this had fallen flat and you weren't trying anymore, that's for certain. It only made the restraints dig into your wrists more. Not to mention you were beyond tired hitting a point of exhaustion that you didn't know was possible. You weren't given a chance to relax as you sat on edge, waiting. Waiting for what - or really who - you didn't quite know.

Sure, you had an Avenger for a soulmate (at least, that was what you considered Bucky, despite his humbleness) but you weren't exactly up to date on their enemies. From your understanding, between the looks of the facility and your soulmate's history, this was seeming like the work of Hydra. But they had been abolished...right? Apparently, you didn't know anymore and doubts rang in your head as you feared you weren't some random victim.

The first signs of daylight were just beginning to peek into your cell from a very tiny, thin window located near the top of the wall beside you.

Suddenly, a grumbling voice called from outside the cell. "She's up." You whipped your head towards the sound, just barely able to make out a figure illuminated by the early morning glow. There was probably some comment to make to whoever this was about how you hadn't really slept but you couldn't find your voice at the moment.

"Excellent." A deeper, possibly older, voice called from down the hall. The man sounded way too excited for your liking. Your stomach threatened to empty its contents as heavy footsteps began making their way towards your cell.

When the steps stopped, you tried squinting through the minimal light but still couldn't make out much of either man. If you had to guess, they looked like some doctors of sorts in long lab coats with notebooks in hand. One thing you definitely could tell was that they didn't hesitate to stare back. You could feel their eyes taking you in over and over again making your heart pound in a weirdly familiar way.

"Does she speak?" The first man asked with a humorless scoff. You twisted in your wrist restraints wishing for some courage to get up and maybe put space between you.

Mustering a scrap of energy, you turned away from the men, hoping maybe your matted hair falling in your face could block them out forever. Because really, couldn't this be forever? How would anyone know what happened? Your best bet was your coworker noticing your absence but then you thought of Bucky... He was away for now and by the time he caught wind who knows what would be of you. Tears began welling in your eyes at the thought of this being it for you -- whatever this was. You still weren't sure what about you compelled these men to kidnap you in the middle of the night.

"Hey," the same voice called out to you this time, pulling you from your troubling thoughts. Slowly, you turned back to him, taking in more of the doctor (fake, you guessed) persona now. "I asked if you speak."

"No," you grumbled. You didn't know where this smart response came from but it made you feel a bit better like you were coming back to yourself. Really, though, you were in no position to start getting smart with anyone.

He let out a joyous laugh that sent far more fear through you. "The Soldier's soulmate has an attitude, huh?"

Soldier? Bucky. Your heart panged at another thought of him. If that's who they were referring to, this was to be about Bucky, you realized. These men knew him and whatever connection was festered there, it hadn't fizzled and you were caught in the crossfire. This actually couldn't be them... But it looked like it.