chapter thirteen

You were sitting at a stool in the compound's kitchen when a familiar face walked in. Bucky had eventually explained to you that this was a sort of "headquarters" for the team. You felt a bit foolish having realized you never kept up much with these mighty heroes but you were eager to learn now. So far, you hadn't encountered anyone you didn't personally know on this famed team. Even now your eyes landed on the welcoming yet worried face of Steve.

"Morning," you said, waving your fork before stabbing some of your scrambled eggs. Bucky had insisted on cooking for you despite your assurance you were fine but his cooking skills were....subpar. Still, nothing was inedible and you needed your strength back.

Steve reciprocated the greeting, saying your name with much excitement. "How are you feeling?" He added while making his way to the coffee pot. You chewed your eggs borderline viciously as you debated on an answer.

"I'm okay." You gave a shrug, staring down at your plate. Part of you wanted to let more out but you ignored it.

Steve came back around to the counter, standing on the other side across from you. He held his coffee cup firmly, nervously almost. You could feel him watching you. That excitement he had said your name with felt like it was evaporating from the room slowly.

"That's... good," Steve said. "If you need someone to talk to we have plenty of resources and - and I wanted to say I'm sorry."

You peaked a glance at him, confused. You placed your fork on the counter. "Sorry? Why are you sorry?"

"I worry I led them right to you," he explained, "like you two were separated for a reason."

You frowned. You hadn't thought about this - heck, you hadn't thought about blaming anyone other than the disgusted men with such joyous evil looks in their eyes.

"Steve, I don't think there was any way anyone could've prevented this." You pushed your plate of food away. "They had their sights set. They had a plan, an optimism. It may have just been the soulmate experience in this case," you sighed. Steve mumbled your name, shaking his head, but you continued, "And that's fine. Love doesn't come easy, right?"

"Being kidnapped is not part of being in love."

"Yeah, well, you don't have an ex-assassin for a soulmate."

Steve's jaw went slack. You were staring him down now, practically begging him to say one more thing.

"It's going to be okay," Steve finally settled on. Ever the cool, calm, and collected star-spangled man. "You will recover and it'll never happen again, we can promise you that." His voice was serious as if every word ended with a period. You felt tears starting to well in your eyes. You wanted to say something, maybe ask for a hug or just... you didn't know what, so you just sat there, slumped in your chair like a defeated puppy.

"Everything okay here?" A sudden voice made you jump. You and Steve turned towards the kitchen doorway where Bucky was standing, arms crossed, worry etched all over his face. It seemed to become his permanent expression now. Even when it was just you two, he always appeared on edge.

You nodded, turning back to collect your plate and take it to the sink. "We were just chatting." You didn't see the look you just knew Steve and Bucky were sharing.

When you turned back around to face the pair, Bucky had crossed the room, almost close enough to now be hoving over you. You flinched when he went to put a comforting hand on your shoulder. You didn't know why as you clearly didn't think he was a threat but hadn't you seen how threatening he could be? You lowered your head, fighting off the thoughts. He wasn't like that to you and he had proven it time and time again. Why was it suddenly different?