chapter eight

You spent the rest of your night trying to redial Bucky's number. Every single time you just got his voicemail, eventually filling it to the max with pleas for him to call you back. You apologized countless times through texts, begging him to not feel bad and to let you two sit down and discuss it.

But he had really gone radio silence.

The only real beacon of hope for you was that you could still feel him. You still felt that attachment, the connection of soulmates. He hadn't totally pushed you out, at least. That was all you could see as far as positives.

As you went to bed that night, the darkness of the situation was still encompassing you. Even the world seemed to be upset with it as the second you laid your head down, it began storming.

You fell asleep to sounds of rain hitting the windows and thunder booming across the city. The nightmares engulfed you once more with no signs of your Bucky making appearances this time. Instead, the feelings of dread ran through your body. Bone, skin, blood, and all. It was like an old friend coming to visit.

The images were nearly the same as well as the asset was back using his knives and terrorizing unsuspecting victims. You couldn't fight but why would you? You felt lost and defeated as you were engrossed in the metaphorical trenches of the life and missions of the Winter Soldier.

***

You had only been asleep for a few hours when your phone started ringing. Slightly thankful the sound pulled you awake before you had to see another man slaughtered, you jumped up from your bed, diving for the phone.

The screen shone brightly in the dark of night. It was him. You nearly cried out as you hit 'accept.'

"Bucky?"

"Can you let me in?" His voice was slowly getting drowned out by the rain. You frowned, confused.

Heading to your front door, you popped your head out, looking down the stairs at the building's entrance. Bucky was staring at the ground outside. "What are you doing?"

"Waiting for you to let me in." He finally looked up, meeting your eyes through the glassdoor. It was not exactly a pretty sight. He looked tormented standing there damp from the rain. You couldn't speak, just nodded and hung up. Without much care for your current state, draped in an oversized t-shirt and sleeping shorts, you ran down the stairs.

Once you unlocked the door, Bucky entered the lobby without so much of a glance at you. Wordlessly, you walked back up the stairs to your apartment, letting Bucky follow.

You introduced him to your apartment, showing him the couch where he could take a seat. This certainly was not how you expected his first time in your home would be but you didn't have much time to mourn it.

You opted to stay standing, watching as Bucky shifted uncomfortably. He wouldn't look at you yet but you could feel the anger radiating from him. You didn't know what to do now.

"D-Do y-you want any water or something?"

Bucky shook his head. "I'm sorry I hung up on you."

Sighing, you said, "I didn't mean to make you upset."

"I know, I know," He insisted, sounding so defeated. He leaned back on the couch, staring up at the ceiling, contemplating. "It's just... After yesterday morning, I thought I understood what you...you had seen but I didn't want to accept it, okay? I didn't want to think it was true. I wanted to believe that my fucking soulmate was learning the better things about me. Actual things about me, not...not that goddamn monster they created."