chapter eleven

Waking up in Bucky's arms felt just too good to be true. You were sure it was a dream, a nice, new dream Fate had blessed you with, but when Bucky shifted beside you and you felt every sensation, you knew you were truly awake.

It also helped tremendously that you had a pleasant dream about him. It feels like centuries since you were shaken awake by the actions of The Winter Soldier. You couldn't even consider any of it the actions of him next to you, feeling like the person in your dreams was and wasn't the man in this bed. Everything felt like it intertwined dangerously, vines running through your mind. But, truthfully, you didn't wanna think too much about it. You were finally getting your chance at the real soulmate experience, dates and dreams and all, and that was too priceless to spend time dwelling over much else.

Bucky awoke slowly, his normally rough eyes met yours in the softest manner. You two were tangled comfortably, still in most of last night's clothing, minus your panties and Bucky's sweater which he must've ditched in the middle of the night. But none of that bothered you for a second. You were just too glad to be in this bed with your soulmate, cocooned lovingly in the sheets.

Bucky's hoarse morning voice broke the silence, "Good morning."

You smirked. "Good morning." You shifted on your side and Bucky removed his arm from your waist, letting you get comfortable. The other arm around your shoulder stayed put. Quite surprisingly, it was his metal one. You could see Bucky's torso completely now, the light from the sun hitting him in just the right way. Your eyes traveled from his arm to his shoulder, looking curiously. He was a fascinating phenomenon that you couldn't believe was yours.

Thankfully, Bucky didn't shiver away at the interest you were taking again in his arm and instead, indulged in your curiosity. "What's going on in that pretty brain of yours?"

Your eyes snapped back to Bucky's face. Your cheeks heated up from the question, feeling like you were caught doing something wrong. But Bucky didn't look at all upset. Slowly, your eyes drifted back down and your hand came up to caress the base of his neck, just barely skimming his shoulder. He shuddered under the feeling.

"Does it... Does it hurt or anything?" You asked, suddenly feeling very stupid the second the words left your mouth. You bit your lip, trying to find the words to peddle back, but Bucky didn't seem very bothered by it.

"No," he shook his head. "I guess I don't think much about it now. It's just part of me. Obviously."

You nodded, still letting your hand trace invisible patterns on his skin. "And you use it to fight bad guys?"

Bucky chuckled. "You're still on that, huh?" You smirked and shrugged, wordlessly asking him to continue. "I... I help where I can. Don't think it's much to get excited about it but I like to think I have a hand in making the world better. It's the least I could do since..." His words trailed off, leaving a kind of heaviness in the conversation. Bucky's eyes lost their softness. They were beginning to water up but before any tear could escape, he spoke again. "You know, I actually am glad you brought this up. I have a mission soon."

Your brows furrowed. "What?"

He nodded and sat up in the bed, untangling you two. You followed his motions, gripping the blanket to you as you now sat side-by-side.

"Should just be for a day or so. Mainly just gathering intel, nothing really crazy from the looks of it, but I still wanted to let you know."

"W-When?"

"Tomorrow."

Your jaw went slack. "You have a mission to leave for tomorrow and I'm just now hearing about it?"