chapter eighteen

"You're back," Dr. G smiled as you plopped down in the seat across from her.

You resisted the urge to roll your eyes and instead forced a tight smile. "I'm back," you confirmed with a dramatic nod for emphasis. You didn't know why you were feeling so hostile. You had shown up here willingly this time.

Bucky didn't even know you were seeing your therapist again. But it wasn't exactly like he was around to find out. He had left for his mission yesterday in the very early morning and you were now on constant edge. You didn't know what he would encounter. You knew none of it was at your clearance level seeing as you had no government clearance level to begin with but still... You didn't like that anything that went wrong would come back to you in the depths of your sleep. Even if Bucky had shared everything step-by-step, any mishap was another blow. Even if everything went right, you feared you were bound to see something.

"Would you like to share anything?" Your therapist asked, disrupting your spiraling thoughts. It was like she knew and, well, maybe she did. You really did kind of suck at hiding your emotions. You could practically feel your face darkening with worry.

"Bucky and I learned something about us recently," you said a bit nervously but Dr. G nodded in encouragement. You tried to steady your breathing and continued, "Our soulmate bond has been disrupted. It happened when he was part of Hydra — I mean, not like part of. That makes it sound like he joined willingly which he absolutely did not—,"

Your therapist said your name sharply, cutting off your words. "I know what you meant," she said.

You nodded briefly, recomposing yourself, and began again, "While under Hydra, he was brainwashed and in that process, they thought they had rid him of his soulmate. But, turns out, all they were doing was tampering with the transmission lines. This means any sort of trauma or... or really emotional occurrences in Bucky's life gets passed along to me, intercepting any, well, normal dreams. And there's nothing we can do about it."

"Nothing?"

You glanced away. "Well, I've asked him to retire to maybe... minimize the damage."

Dr. G nodded as she scribbled something on her notepad. She let out an interesting hum. "How did Bucky respond to that?"

You fought back the urge to roll your eyes. You weren't really upset with him, more angered by the situation. "It took him a second to come around to the idea and, sure, eventually he did but then he was given another mission. A mission he couldn't turn down."

"And how did that make you feel?"

Another feeling of annoyance flashed across you at the cliche therapist speak but you could also recognize the question for its worth. Someone was actually asking you how you felt about the new, and last, mission. Lord knows Bucky hadn't.

You bit your lip, feeling tears already threatening to run down your cheeks. "It made me feel bad, to put it simply. I just felt horrible and scared. I know that with time it'll go away and maybe we'll find some peace but I'm just really hurt it has to be this way."

More notes were scribbled. "How did Bucky react to hearing that?" Dr. G asked without looking up. You shifted awkwardly in your seat, fiddling with your fingers out of habit. Your therapist glanced up once her writing has finished. Her brows raised as you struggled to find an answer.

"He doesn't really know."

Your therapist placed her pen on her notepad and leaned forward in her chair, eyeing you a bit upsettingly. "Do you remember what I told you during your last session?"

Talking. Talking, talking, talking. Just let it out. How could you forget? That's exactly what you had done and while it made some kind of progress, you were still stuck at this godforsaken dead end for the time being.