Thank you (Chapter 25)

Rachel:

I am skipping down the corridor like a child. I feel happier, freer, than I have since I arrived. My skirts bounce up with me, floating lightly through the air to the beat of my feet against the stone floor. The oppressive feel of the underground hallway is long forgotten, it's now a pathway to a better life.

It's been two days, and two more- two more!- women have agreed to testify. I'm giddy with excitement. What I've heard of Michelle and Amber's stories are horrifying, but also perfect. With the number of testimonies, I know the Senate will have to act.

Now I just need to tell the Master Priest the good news. He wasn't in his office, hence my need to promenade from one side of the temple to another.

A door opens further down the corridor and I halt my skipping to a controlled walk, trying to look as normal as possible. A priest walks out and begins walking in my direction. He is one of the older priests of low rank, I think he spends most of his days organizing the temple's manuscripts.

I try to look, well, normal- uninterested, anything but uncharacteristically happy.

"Goddess bless" he greets when he is almost to me.

"Goddess bless" I reply softly.

As he passes he pauses momentarily and I try to not freak out. My heart beats heavily in my chest. He should have no reason to suspect me of anything.

He shakes his head and continues on his way.

Thank goodness!

Once he is far enough away, I lightly jog down the rest of the corridor. I don't think I can bear coming across anyone else

I slip into the back of the antechamber and creep around to the side to avoid the Antechamber priest on duty and slip into the small side altar.

He's there, praying before his goddess. It's strange that the Master Priest is so devoted yet trying at the same time to take down the very structure that supports that belief- not that I'm complaining.

I close the door quietly as he stands, looking at me curiously. My eyes flit over his impressive stature, he's not overly tall, but much taller than me with wide shoulders that taper off to a slim waist shown off by the rope tied around his mint-green robes. Jesus, Rachel, stop ogling.

I can't help the smile that breaks out on my face, "I got two more testimonies." I whisper into the quiet room. It's unsettling to discuss this so close to the antechamber filled with worshipers, priests, and priestesses even though I can't hear any of the activity from that busy room through the thick door and dark stone walls, so I doubt they can hear me.

He squints his blue eyes at me, "The goddess is good. Who?"

"Michelle and Amber." The odd quietness of the room contrasts with the excitement bubbling up inside me. "It's enough, isn't it? Enough to take him down?"

He pauses for a moment as if he is considering it carefully before finally conceding, "It should be enough"

I launch myself at him, wrapping my arms around his neck, and jump up giving him a peck on the lips. He must be shocked because he looks at me stunned before finally reaching his muscular arms around to hold me.

I search his eyes for what he is thinking and when he doesn't immediately say anything I begin to feel my shyness creep up. Damn him. We are so close now, his body pressed against mine; I smell his deep masculine scent that I just want to bury my nose in. I feel my heart pounding in my chest.

His eyes shift between mine. Then he slowly leans forward and brushes his soft lips against mine. He pulls back slightly so I can see his supple lips, "when this is all over, I'm going to get you out of here."

Shock courses through my body followed by a warmth that spreads out from my chest. My lips part and I don't know what to say. He's going to save me. He continues to watch me, waiting for me to say something, but my mind is blank. Thank you is too little for what he is doing for me.

So I smash my lips into his.

He returns my passionate kiss and soon I'm tearing off his clothing as fast as I can as he kisses down my neck. I feel a tugging around my waist and hear my silver belt clang as it hits the floor. He grabs my waist and lifts me up. I wrap my legs around his waist. He pushes my back against the cold stone wall and uses one hand to bunch my skirts around my waist.

And then he is there, his blunt tip brushes my entrance before he surges in. I quiver around him, it's so sudden it takes my breath away. But if he notices, he doesn't care. He begins a punishing pace, thrust up harshly before quickly withdrawing.

My back scrapes against the wall, but I don't care. I care about nothing other than the feel of him and the pleasure coursing through me. I am panting, moaning with every thrust. My fingers are digging into his shoulders as I maintain my grip.

His eyes dark with lush watch me as I lean my head back against the wall and give myself over to the pleasure. My core squeezes him tight before it surrenders to the rhythmic pleasure of my release.

He follows only moments later.

We are still panting when he sets me down. My knees feel weak and I lean on him.

He presses his forehead against mine and then he laughs. It's a quiet joyous laugh, something I haven't heard in the longest time. He then kisses my lips before retreating to grab his robes that are now puddled on the ground.

"I have something to look forward to when this is over" He slips his robes over his shoulders.

"Hmm?" I'm still dazed.

"We should probably avoid each other as much as possible while the testimonies take place, but afterward I plan on seeing a lot of you" he clarifies.

I feel heat travel across my face.

He smirks a little, "you should go clean up"

I nod and give him one last kiss. It's like my tongue is tied and so I don't say anything as I slip out of the small alter room and head back to my rooms to straighten myself out.

I can feel sticky wetness dripping down my thighs making me walk fast through the corridors and hallways of the temple.

I open the door to the hallway that leads to the priestess' rooms and see two priests in black robes standing in front of my door.

They look at me and fear strikes me.

*****

In Fledgling Whispers is COMPLETE on my Patreon. You can read it today for only 3 Euros a month (+VAT, multiple currencies available). Check out the link for more info: https://www.patreon.com/heatherjacobs

Happy reading!

Heather