Chapter 10: Victory

VERONIA...

"Reku, we must fall back now!!" Jessica begged Reku as she pointed towards a group of their warriors getting gunned down while trying to push the enemy back.

Reku hesitated for a moment before turning towards Sigurd who is panting heavily, not only that, his left arm is wounded by a bullet.

He then turned back in observing his sorroundings, loud cracks, screaming and fighting are still audible in the distance.

A warrior would get killed in each passing second, with their enemies only having slight casualties.

Jessica was right, they really do need to retreat, they were now down to fifty men, not leaving sooner would no doubt result in getting all of their men killed.

Reku then turned his head back towards the wounded Sigurd and spoke.

"Sigurd." he spoke, earning Sigurd's attention.

"Boss?" Sigurd responded back.

"Would you have the honors of being our rear gua-" Reku wasn't able to finish his request as Jessica interrupts him.

"I volunteer!! he's in no condition to lead a rear-guard unit." Jessica stated, earning her a shock look from Sigurd himself.

"You dare question our leader's wise judgement?!" Reku's lieteunant scolded
her, while Reku kept himself quiet after hearing this.

"Shut up Leonard! you're just someone who's blindly following orders without thinking like a dog!" Jessica snapped back.

Reku's lieteunant now known as Leonard, was shocked and surprised at her answer.

Not finding the right words to speak back to her, he forcibly kept his mouth shut after this, his head hung low in shame and embarassment.

"Leonard seems to agree with me now." Jessica continued, making Leonard stare at her in anger.

Sigurd stared at Jessica for a moment before protesting.

"No, it's only an arm wound, I can still do well in protecting our leader." Sigurd declared, making Jessica flinch in annoyance.

Everyone started to argue like that, until Reku loudly interrupted them.

"That's enough!" Reku yelled, making everyone stop their babbling.

"Time is running out, I've already changed my mind and decided that Jessica would be our rear-guard, no more questions, let's move!!" Reku ordered.

Jessica sighed in relief while Sigurd grunted in annoyance and frustration.

Half of their forces began to move out without saying a word, while the rest stayed to defend Reku's retreating unit, and to delay their enemies at the same time.

Jessica waved and smiled at Sigurd's retreating figure, Sigurd then gave Jessica a sad and worried look in return.

Leonard noticed this and smirks, after a few seconds, his face then turned into a frown as he suddenly felt bad for the two.

He didn't know why he felt this towards a person who insulted and humiliated him earlier.

Leonard then shook his head to clear his thoughts and proceeded to follow Reku's retreating force.

As Reku's retreating force disappears from Jessica's view, her smile then turned into a serious blank face as she stared the warriors who is currently battling the otherworlder men.

Jessica then began to walk towards them, her eyes beginning to burn in determination and anger.

"EVERYONE ON ME! IT'S NOW OUR TIME TO DIE!!" she yelled to the surviving warriors which got their attention.