Chapter Twenty-Seven

'Susan.' Ella whispered worriedly. 'That's George Banks.'

'I know.'

'We can't leave her.'

'I know.' I muttered impatiently as I watched the war-torn werewolf rise, dragging the woman easily into the air as she hung limply from his claws. 'But he's not alone.'

Ella's fingers tangled in my shirt as the rattling above grew deafening loud, scraping horribly over my ears until they abruptly came to a stop. I didn't bother to look up. I knew four werewolves were staring down at me with black acid dribbling between their bared teeth and staring with malicious eyes. It wouldn't do my temper any good. Instead, I focused on the woman. She was lifted slightly off the wet floor, held up by George's clawed hand and savage strength. Blood was sliding down her leg, her shorts and fancy shirt torn with ripe, purple bruises flowering over her face and arms. I couldn't see any scales to indicate lamia or nymph, no wings and antlers for an elf, no scent of magic or musk of a beast. She was utterly human, which meant she was their toy right now, like a cat batting about a mouse. Whether or not she knew of the Oldworld was another question, but by how she stared at me with wild terror and drowning confusion, I guessed she didn't. No immortal was going to be looking for her, trying to save or protect her. She was just a woman.

'Vortigerns aren't meant to be here.' George coughed out, spraying acid from his horrific mouth as he struggled to form words. 'You know what happens.'

I shrugged coolly, and subtly observed the young werewolves above. They were smaller than George, a fur wealth of healthy fur covering them. Fresh members. For once, I was pleased for the Whelan pack's overturn of werewolves. George should be the only real threat here.

'We came for the Belly. It's not uncommon that we do, and the Belly is neutral ground. We're allowed here.'

'Murray don't like it though. Don't like blood-suckers coming close to his kids. Vortigerns, specifically. Is my job to deal with you.' The woman swallowed a shriek as his claws dug deeper into her scalp, putting a terrible pressure upon her skull. 'It'll be a shame if I need to give up this snack for you. I like them fleshier.'

I latched onto that quickly, my mind spying a way to get the woman out. 'You're going to hunt me? Even though you know Lucius will come?'

'I gotta if you don't go. Little human like you won't be a good chase, no fear and no fight either. Too much a headache.' George breathed out. 'So, get out. Go.'

Ella made a desperate squeak and tightened her fingers in my shirt, shaking me lightly in silent demand I do something. Against my better judgement, I found myself going along with her wants. The woman wasn't even part of Oldworld. She was just snatched up of the street, a woman who had no clue of magic.

And fuck if I was going to leave a helpless woman in the hands of George Banks. I knew what happened to them. Torn apart, eaten slowly, raped. My fire roared indignantly.

I flexed my fingers. 'What'll happen to her?'

George grinned and shook the woman lightly, making her claw at his monstrous fingers that dug in deeper and deeper. 'Nothing that concerns you. My catch.' He looked to Ella, eyeing her up hungrily. 'Or you have a better offering? Trade?'

I folded my arms, swallowing the fire that was trying to slip out of my throat and propelling me to jump into the deep end. I couldn't reason with him to let her go – why would he? It's not like I could talk to him and he'd magically realise treating this woman like a bit of meat was wrong. My conscience roared I couldn't walk away either, my job was to protect the mortals from men like him. All I could do was draw his attention to me.

HellfireOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara