Part 9

This was it. The morning of my first game. I've done plenty of tests in the past few months, but nothing compared to this. I'm in the big leagues now. I was putting my shoes in my room when Mark interrupted me.

"It's still not too late to back out."
"No fucking way, this is my chance to really prove myself to John." I was pissed as hell at him for hiding the tests from me. "Don't fuck this up for me." I knew I shouldn't be mad at Mark but I'm not a fucking kid. I'm 17 years old, practically a legal adult. He of all people should know, he's a cop. I sat at the main table in the warehouse, pulling out new items I had borrowed from the CVS down the road. There wasn't much, concealer, mascar, eyeliner, mirror. But I mean, Daniel was gonna be there. And psycho traps or not, I still had a massive fucking crush on him. We'd gone to school together, History. I stared at him the whole time, probably looking insane. But this was my chance to do something normal for once, I was going to see a boy I liked and I wanted to look less like I've lived in a warehouse for 6 months. I used to be a pro at makeup I swear, but as I looked in the mirror I resembled more of a drowned raccoon. Good, I like it that way anyway. Amanda watched me, amused, from the other side of the table.

"Is that fucking..makeup?" Mark said as he walked into the room.

"Maybe, what's it to you?" I said, suddenly very defensive.

"Woah slow your roll fox and friends, why are you putting makeup on?" I looked down silently and felt blood rush to my cheeks. Goddamn me for not putting on more concealer to hide that.

"It's because Daniel's gonna be there." Amanda teased me, shoving my arm and drawing out every syllable.

No it's not!" I shouted, pushing her.

"Eric Matthews kid?"
"NO!"

"Yes! She's totally into him, she's been practically drooling over his photo all week!"
"No I haven't! And it would make perfect sense for me to be wearing makeup, believe it or not most teenage girls do. And I need to look like I just got kidnapped out of my everyday life soooo, it makes perfect sense!"
"Is that why you feel the need to defend yourself then? Cause it makes "perfect sense?" Mark said, making fun of me too. I signed in frustration and threw my hands up.

"John! Tell 'em to stop!" John walked into the room, leaning on a cane.

"You two need to leave her alone, we've got work to do."
"HA!" I said sticking my tongue out at them.

"You too Ronnie."

John said at the table and unrolled the blueprint of the house. It was just marked with X's where each trap was, so I don't even know who's is who's. "Now the connection between everyone is that Eric Matthews had falsely imprisoned them. However Ronnie, you've never even had a run in with the law, have you?"
"No."
"Well that changes today. You were arrested by Matthews falsely and spent time in juvie for drug charges. It will also explain to Daniel where you were for the last 6 months."
"But we weren't close, I even doubt he noticed I've been gone."
"You'd be surprised at what your schoolmates will notice."

"But won't Matthews realize he's never arrested me?"

"By the time the connection for him is made, he probably won't even notice. And if he fails his test, he never will. Mark will be in charge of making sure the police overlook double checking the documents. You will go in the safe with Daniel like you're a victim in this as well and you will simply slip their mind."

"You sure have a lot of faith in the police being actual idiots."
"It's a well placed faith." Mark added.

"Are you ready, Veronica?" John said, pulling out a syringe.
"You're sure I can't even get there and then be knocked out?" I said, my fear of needles kicking in. And yeah I know, gore and shit is my paygrade but needles? Fuck no, get that out of my face. It's the only real thing that'll freak me out.