Part 8

It was a Saturday night but justice never takes days off. Not even for a weekend. John, Amanda, Mark, and I were all sitting around a large round table prepping for the newest test to come. This one was gonna be a big one, a whole house. 8 people in total, including Amanda and myself. Once again, vague on the details for me.

"John, I still don't think it's a good idea to have Ronnie in this next test." Mark said, putting down the blueprint he was working on.

"We need both of them to be on the inside, keeping the test under control and protecting Daniel Matthews. He cannot die."

"Mark, I'm fine." I hissed, nudging him with my elbow. I could feel my stomach growl like an angry animal.
"Well I'm starving, can we get dinner now?"

"There's leftovers in the fridge." John said, not looking up at me. I dramatically signed and leaned back in my chair.
"But I'm sick of Chef Boyyardee and Campbelle soup!"
John gave me a stern look, about to scold me, when Mark stood up.
"I'm sure you are, I'll go get something."
"Ooo! Ooo! Can we get pizza?" I shouted, mouth already watering at the idea of something not in a can.
"Yeah, sure kid." He said ruffling my hair before grabbing his car keys and leaving. That 40 minutes it took him to get the pizza was the longest 40 minutes of my life. Mark barely managed to get through the door before Amanda and I jumped him like junkies looking for their next fit.

"Girls, girls please!" John said, trying to move us away. Sitting and waiting for John to get plates and get the pizza out was literally torture. And that's coming from someone who makes torture devices for a living.

"Oh my god, this is literal heaven!" I exclaimed, mouth full of cheese. "Stop talking with your mouth full and share!" Amanda said, reaching over me for another slice. I stuck my tongue out at her and took another bite. To be honest, we were all pretty ravenous at this point. Our meal was mostly eaten in silence as everyone stuffed their mouths. I sat around and wondered how long it had been since I'd had something like this. I mean, this could be considered a family meal, right? I laughed at something Amanda had said when something caught my eye. The calendar on the wall. Next week was father's day. As I looked around at the people at my table, I wondered if I could consider any of them family. Let alone a father. Maybe I could, hell I want to. That's all I really want.