~Life and Death~

(Time skip: The Great War of Hogwarts, 7th Year)

Harry POV: 

I went into Dumbledore's offices alone, leaving Draco outside. That was 20 minutes ago and now I knew. I knew everything. I knew about Snape. I knew about my mother. I knew about Dumbledore. Above all. I knew that I had to die. 

Avoiding Draco was the only chance I possibly had to fulfill my destiny. One more look at him, and then I would realize all over again that I would have to leave him. All alone. 

I walked down to the outskirts of the forbidden forest, passing by the memories of my childhood. Imbedded into the grass where Ron threw up slugs, Hermione punched Draco in the face, and Hagrids hut contained memories of burned rock cakes and baby dragons. 

Out of my pocket, I pulled out the golden snitch and pressed it firmly to my lips. "I am about to die," I whispered hoarsely, the metal was cool against my flesh. With the contact of me, the layers of metal recoiled to reveal the Resurrection stone. 

In front of me stood all that I had lost. My mother with fiery red hair stood next to my father. He really was the spitting image of myself. Or I, of him. Lupin stood beside the couple. He looked younger, more youthful. His hair was no longer as shabby as it had been when I knew him. Professor Lupin stood with Tonks, and the reality of them being in front of me created a lump in my throat. 

"My dear Harry. You are brave. So brave." My mother's face with full of kindness in love. The kind of love I see in Molly when she looks at Ron. Or the kind of love Narcissa looks at Draco with. The kind of love I have been longing for. 

"You are nearly there... Very close. We are so proud of you," James said his voice deeper than I had expected, but I didn't care. 

My lip curled up as I bit back my tears. "Does-does it hurt?" The question was childish, yet it was something that I needed to know. As some sort of reassurance. 

"Dying? No." Tonks began. "It's like falling asleep, only a lot faster and easier. It's almost calming."

"You will all stay with me? Till the end?" I asked. 

"Till the very end." James reaffirmed. 

"Stay close to me," I whispered as the ghosts disappeared and I was filled with a sense of calm and peace. 

"Harry?" Came a voice from behind me. "What are you doing down here?" The figure came up behind me and wrapped their arms around my waist. Blond hair came into my eyes as Draco put his head on my shoulder.

"Are you really considering going?" Draco asked his voice caught at the very end of the sentence. 

"I have to." I didn't want to lie. It was hard enough already. 

"That's a death sentence, Harry." Draco turned me around to look into his eyes but I turned my head away. My heart broke as he faltered for a second just staring at me. "And you know it." Draco's voice was brittle and broke down. He pulled me closer and buried his face into the crook of my neck. 

I felt the wetness of his tears as he stammered "I don't want to lose you." Tears threatened to fall from my eyes as well. This reason exactly was why I avoided seeing him. It would be too hard to leave. 

I lifted his face so he could look me in the eyes. "Hey, Draco, you won't lose me okay. I will win. I will defeat Voldemort for you. So I can come back to you." The lie fell off my tongue too easily and I was afraid he wouldn't believe it. Draco nodded. 

"Alright. Alright. I love you," Draco gave a small smile. "Go on and win this war for me." Then he gave me a playful nudge on the shoulder. 

"I will and I love you too." Draco lowered his head until his lips were level with mine and pressed them against mine softly at first. He started to press harder and I pressed back with equal force. Soon enough the kiss became quite heated and that's when I knew I had to stop. I pulled away, looking at the man in front of me.

I gave him a small, light peck on the lips before I turned my back to him. He grabbed my hand and pulled me back. 

"Before you go... Can you promise?" He said faintly in an almost whisper. I nodded and bit down on my curled lip to keep the tears at bay. 

"Yes. I promise." Draco let go and I walked into the forest. 

--------------------------

Draco POV: 

I watched the love of my life, my partner in crime (literally), my soulmate walk into the woods where a murderer was waiting for him. That would rattle almost anyone. I was still worried about my mother. It had been a burning thought at the back of my mind for months. 

We first got the news that there was a break in a Grimmauld place in a letter from Uncle Sirius about a month after it was sent. My mother had been taken. My first thought was to save her and that's when I started working tirelessly to try to locate her but to no avail. I hope I have now that when this is all over, I can go looking for her.

Miserably I walked back up to the castle. I did have faith in Harry, but I did not have faith in a cult leader murderer. Hermione called me over and I told her what happened. She looked sadly at me, almost as if she knew something that I didn't. Out of the woods came a long line of death eaters. Among them was my mother. My heart sunk and I felt betrayed. 

A few steps away Hagrid immerged from the looming trees, carrying the body of a boy. My love. My lungs collapsed and it got harder to breathe. Voldemort stood in front of everyone. 

"Harry Potter is dead. He was killed as he ran away, trying tosave himself while you lay down your lives for him. We bring youhis body as proof that your hero is gone. 

We outnumber you in warriors so the war is done. Those who resist, women, children all will be subjecting themselves to slaughter. Come out of the castle now, kneel before me, and you shall bespared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will liveand be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shallbuild together."

My ears blocked out the sounds, all I could hear was my heart beating. Thumping louder and louder. I could not look. If I did I would see, Hagrids sobs as he turned to face the defeated fighters. I could hear the sobs. 

The sound made me glance for a second. I saw the blood dripping off his face as it would be on mine. His face drained of all color, completely pale. Harry's limp figure, voided by life or spirit. 

A sob escaped me and I started shaking uncontrollably. I let out a gut-wrenching, blood-curdling scream. "NO!", 

"You PROMISED!" I shrieked my emotions in utter chaos. I felt the presence of someone who crouched beside me and rubbed my back in a soothing circular motion. Air escaped from my lungs with every word. "He promised, he promised, he promised, he promised, he promised..... he-he promised me." 

It became a lot harder to breathe, the lump in my throat returned. My head felt dizzy and my voice got lighter and lighter until I blacked out. 

------------

A/N

I am officially finishing this book! It's been a long time with many chapters and the next is going to be an Epilogue. Thank you for everyone's support in this whole writing experience. It's had its ups and downs but here we are nearing the end!

To all those that made it this far. Congratulations! And how in the world have you been able to stand my writing for this long? That is truly a wonder. Amazing!

-Mai