~Breaking and Entering~

Draco POV:

I planned and I waited. 

The lights had shut off in the dormitories leaving peculiar shadows creeping up the walls. The first sign of sleep came from the bed next to mine. There was some heavy breathing and a faint rustling of the uniform green duvet. Across from me, there was some indistinct muttering, this is expected from Goyle. I've had to deal with it since my first year. 

Silently slipping out of my bed to the waiting pairs of slippers to help cushion any movement. That was until I could cast a muffling charm. On my bedside table lay my wand anxiously waiting for use.  I creep over to the corner of the dorm right next to the dreary lamp, robbed of its light.

"Muffliato" I muttered, and cautiously watched the room; scanning for any sign of movement or anything that might be out of place. When I was satisfied, I took a deep breath to cast the invisibility charm. 

The corridors at night were even more gloomy than in the day, the stone floor was damp from the evening rain. Which bizarrely enough managed to get inside the castle. I tip-toed up the stairs from the dungeon, in seemingly random order. However, it is not random at all. To be undetectable at night you have to be very careful about where you step. Naturally, I have learned exactly where is most suited for my weight. Due to this however it could take a bit of contortion. I have snuck out enough times to know how to get from A to B, efficiently. 

Soon enough I was at the library. 

The books looked menacing; all pristine and in place. The vibrant colors all faded residing to a wretched gray hue. There was no fault anywhere. It is a very different sight at night compared to the day. The big crossbarred windows which surrounded the library were closed off with big antiquated shutters. Near the tables, I can still smell the residue of ink only faintly. Towards the end of the library was a long thin and threatening rope. It held the secrets and threats, and anyone who was caught sneaking in got a month's detention. Now that the angry pink midget was here as a Professor nobody was willing to take that chance. 

I tip-toed with extreme speed and dedication right towards this rope. There was a specific enchantment that allowed the teachers to be notified whenever someone crossed this line without a slip.

I was aware of this. 

However, I was also aware of how much time I would have to get out of the library before the squib comes to catch me. The consequences of not doing this outweighed the very real consequences of getting caught. It was a risk I was willing to take. 

Gathering whatever courage I had lifted one leg at a time over the rope. I was officially breaking into the restricted section. The book, I remembered, was in the back, third row. With no time to think twice, I darted to where it had been before. 

I didn't remember the book by the title but from the peculiar markings and design of the cover. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the unmistakable smoky amethyst arrays traveling up the sides of the book. Both sides of the book were identical, I suppose that was the whole point. What is done to one, must be done to the other. That was the rule. 

I wasted no time in grabbing the book and making a swift return across the line. There wasn't much time left now and I needed to get back to the Slytherin dormitory. Now more than ever there was the pressure of not being seen. 

After all, a floating book in the middle of the night might be quite odd. 

I was hoping since I didn't spend much time looking for the book, that it would give me more time to get back. Well, we all can dream.