Chapter 9

I felt tears dotting the edge of my eyes. He had bought me a gift and I had asked him whether he tried to kill me, I was officially an idiot now.

"Malfoy?", I yelled at the master bedroom door, and an irritated blonde head appeared at the door. The said blonde head raised a perfectly groomed eyebrow in question.

"We need to talk and we need to do it now."

--

I waited for him in the living room. Ten minutes had not passed when he came downstairs wearing a short sleeved white t-shirt and sweat pants. He did not come directly to me. Instead, he headed towards the opposite wall and hung something in there. He moved away and went to the kitchen. I stared at the picture he had hung up just now. It was me, looking radiant and happy, with a big, bright smile on my face as I stretched the tray of brownie forward, a streak of flour gracing my cheeks. I looked tired, but I looked happy.

It was then I realized that Malfoy made me happy. As he said himself, I was not in love with him, but he for sure brought back the once happy-girl that I was. The picture looked like one, a loving husband would take, when they were happy and content with their life. It was almost the exact opposite of ours, but it still held a lot of meaning and depth. He had captured the moment in a frame, to be cherished forever. He came back from the kitchen and sank into the couch opposite me and glanced at me in question.

"We need to talk."

"Talk about what Granger? I thought you made everything clear in your little speech. You live in here, scared that I will kill you any minute. You are constantly in doubt of what I do. If we are going to have a life together, you should not second guess everything I say or do- I don't need to hear all of the crappy things you say to me- and I should still try to make this relationship better. This is just preposterous."

"Malfoy- I am sorry, I really am. I was in the wrong for everything that happened to us today. I just realized that you made me happy. I lost many good friends during the war, my best friends drifted apart from me. It hits me now, I have never curled my lips upward in an attempt to smile, but 3 days into this relationship, I have laughed and smiled, and I feel better already. I have to thank you for that. Now, I do not know how to apologize to you. But I do know that I am sorry. I need to know all about this Jennifer and Eve Mantel, and what that child meant when she said that she was becoming a Malfoy soon. So, fire away Malfoy."

"I am telling you something very few people know. As I told you, I wanted the Mark. And I have killed people, but they were all death eaters. I killed Yaxley, Dolohov and Selwyn. The only reason I did not kill Lucius was that he was my father. I wanted to kill them all for killing my brother.''

"You had a brother?"

"Yes, Orion Malfoy. He was killed by them for he married a muggle born. I saw the murder when I was 11. I believed all that Purebloods were better shit then. But when I saw how truly she loved my brother and how brilliant she was with magic, I felt unsure about all the Superiority theory my father had taught to me. When I was 14, I was sure that all my father told me were wrong. I visited her that summer. I saw Eve for the first time then. She was 7 then, a cute baby who just looked like my brother. I had a niece at the age of 7, wonderful isn't it? I fell in love with that child that day. I was the father figure for her, she saw me in Orion's place. Her first word was Dada, not her mama. She completely depended on me everything. When I had to return to Hogwarts, she was so sad."

He paused for a moment.

"As I said, I wanted the Mark for getting revenge on them. Orion was a father to me, he raised me. He held me when I had nightmares. My parents never had time for me. Father had his death eater duties and mother had to maintain her position in the social circle. Neither of them wanted me as a so. They wanted me as a trophy whom they could proudly display at events. I had deadly nightmares almost every day. My mind was tainted. Malfoy manor was a prison. They held prisoners in the Dungeons and tortured them. My brother had escaped when I was 6. It had taken them 5 years to find him and track him down. But luckily, he had moved Jen and Eve to safety before he was caught. I had nightmares for years about his death. I still have it some days. I sure wanted to be a death eater, but my intentions were pure, on my behalf."