ℓσѕιηg gαмє

(Placeholder image. A mod is working on the real cover :3)

"Here, (Y/n). This should help a little."

You were sitting at the kitchen table that following Monday, watching as your father brought you a steaming cup of lemon tea. You took the cup and blew on the liquid to cool it down before taking a sip, wincing at the heat. Even so, you slowly made your way down the cup, your father watching you in concern.

"Still nothing, huh?" He asked.

You looked up at him, shaking your head.

"I see... My, that sickness must have hit you hard, huh? Every other student seemed fine leaving that festival of yours, but you have this... Are you sure it's just a lingering side effect?"

You only shrugged. It was the only excuse you could give to them for this, written down of course. A sickness that caused everyone at school to collapse with no recollection, but you have a sore throat.

"Odd..." Your father continued. "Well, hopefully, this blows over soon. I can't imagine how hard it would be to not communicate like how you're used to."

You nodded in agreement, while your mother walked in from the living room. Her phone was in her hand and her hair was done up, just about ready to head to work.

"I just got off the phone with the doctor," She said as she approached you to kiss your head. "We have an appointment scheduled for you this Wednesday. I gave him your symptoms, and while he heard about the students' collapse, he still wants to look into your troubles. He believes it could just be a strained vocal cord infection, but we'll see."

You gave a small wave in thanks, standing to put your cup in the sink. After doing so, your mom gave you a big hug from behind, resting her chin on top of your head as she smiled. "You be good, okay? I know it's going to be hard with your condition today, but stick with your friends and you'll be fine. I've already let the principal know what's going on, so don't worry about the teachers relying on you for verbal class participation, okay?"

You gave a big grin as you gripped her arms, nodding a bit.

She kisses your head one more time before going to your father, kissing his cheek. "I'll be a bit late tonight, but I'll still be back in time for dinner. How's chicken and rice sound?"

"Best thing I've heard all week," He replied, giving her a quick hug. "Have a good day, 'Mona."

"You too, Luke."

And with that, your mom was out the door, and you went back to your chair to pick up your bag by the strap that hung off the seat. You check your phone to find a missed call from Theresa earlier that morning, followed by a text.

'Just wanted to let you know I'm passing by! Wanna walk with me if you're ready by then?'

You gave a quick text back to ask where she was, and after confirming that she was almost on your street, you turned and hugged your dad.

"Keep it cool today, okay kiddo?" He asked as he hugged back. "Don't be afraid to text me or your mom if there are problems."

You nodded and put your bag around your shoulders, heading for the door. You walked out and made your way to the end of the driveway. A simple day with a subtle breeze. Calm after a storm of whatever the wonk you just went through. You took this small amount of time to rub your neck. It was strange. Nothing felt physically missing. Nothing felt to be in pain, and nothing seemed wrong. And yet, no matter how hard you pushed, nothing came out. It was as if you're in a constant state of being stuck. Stuck and unable to free yourself, no matter the struggle.