Something new

When she woke up this time, she thought it was a dream. But a quick look at her hands quickly made that thought go away. And luckily, this time she wasn't freaking out as much as the last time. Still, she found it difficult to accept this fact. After all, she had been content with her normal, boring life. That dimensional journey or whatever it was would not have been necessary.

Partly out of habit, but partly for other reasons, she got out of bed to look for the kitchen. A cup of cold milk or tea would surely help her come down. She just hoped there was still something like that in the house. If in doubt, she would drink something else, but of course she prefers her favorites.

Fortunately, she remembered most of the comics and the game well enough that she found the kitchen easy enough. Otherwise she would have looked stupid and ultimately not found the forest for the trees. Then she would have had to wait for Papyrus to take her to the kitchen and she wanted to avoid that. It wasn't even because she didn't like Papyrus. She just had no idea how this Sans used to behave. And she couldn't just act like any version of Horrortale Sans that crossed her mind because... She was absolutely ridiculous at acting. Sure, she could do a few little things like being tired or faking being sick. But that wasn't big either. Everyone who goes to school at least learns to be sick there.

Fortunately for her, Papyrus wasn't in the kitchen at the moment. Helping herself with a chair on the counter, she searched the cupboards for tea. Depending on how cold she felt, she would prefer tea to milk. Milk was more suitable for drinking in warmer temperatures.

And she actually found tea, hidden far behind some glasses. It appeared to be apple tea, which was okay. Apple was okay. It wasn't her favorite, but it was okay. At least it wasn't orange. Orange just tasted like water, in her opinion, with no flavor whatsoever.

Taking a tea bag, she also took a cup that she had found earlier. After putting the tea bag in the cup, she looked around for a kettle but couldn't find one. Perhaps she found one of those metal jugs that she could use to heat the water. And indeed she found a small jug. Happily, she ran in as much water as she thought was needed and then put it on the stove after turning it on.

Waiting for the water to boil, she looked for the sugar. Something occurred to her. Would that count as stealing if your body lived here but your soul didn't? Because that could be, depending on the angle from which you looked at the situation. She just hoped Papyrus wouldn't hold it against her. But hey, she found the sugar!

The hiss of the metal jug signaled that her water was ready. She quickly switched off the stove, but let the water stand for a moment. In time she carefully added her preferred amount of sugar to the cup. And with that done, she picked up the metal jug and poured a sufficient amount of water into her cup. And apart from the fact that she had to fish the sign out of the water again, it worked out pretty well. Now she just had to carefully take the cup upstairs into the room and then anything could come.

“HERE YOU ARE SO BROTHER! I WAS WORRIED WHEN YOU WEREN'T IN YOUR ROOM.", said Papyrus from the entrance of the kitchen and scared her to death. She wasn't hoping to face him right away, damn it! Now she even dropped her tea because of it.

But Papyrus didn't look disappointed, just came over to her, took the wipe off the hook, and dried her clothes from the hot water as best as possible. She was just lucky not to have any skin or she would definitely have burned herself.

"Excuse me. I forgot how easily scared you get after your accident. But I'm surprised you didn't use my absence to steal the ketchup from the fridge. I didn't even know you liked tea, brother.” She was surprised that Papyrus spoke to her so quietly and gently. Almost as if he didn't want to scare her any further. That alone was proof of what a good brother papyrus was. Although there was one thing that bothered her...

“Could you… maybe stop calling me 'brother', Papyrus? It... just doesn't feel right…" Her voice was low and harsh from a long period of non-use. With the itchy throat she wanted her tea back now. But she also hoped Papyrus would accept it. Earlier when she was still a human, she didn't mind being a girl. But now it just didn't feel right to call herself male or female. But the name Sans was okay. She would just need some time to respond to it.

"OF COURSE! WHO WOULD THE GREAT PAPYRUS BE IF HE DIDN'T RESPECT HIS SIBLING'S WISHES? WHAT PRONOUNS SHOULD I USE INSTEAD, SANS?" She smiled at Papyrus' sincere words. She really had the coolest brother ever.

"Thank you Pap. You are the best brother ever. They/Them sound just fine." And with the excited look on Papyrus' face, they couldn't help but find at least that little part relaxing in this crazy situation.