he began to walk away when he noticed his brother was no longer standing beside him, but as soon as he took a step forward, he was, unfortunately, not aware of the tall, muscular figure standing before him, and he bumped into the said figure. "ugh!" lan y/n winced as he felt his nose collide with a strong surface. he stumbled back, but before he could fall down, he felt someone grab his wrist, pulling him back to his feet.

lan y/n groaned as he used his free hand to massage his nose. he heard a deep chuckle. "i'm sorry, did i surprise you?" lan y/n snapped his head upwards at the sound of the voice. he came face to face with the man he was curiously looking at earlier; nie mingjue. "o-oh.."

now that he could get a closer look, lan y/n was in utter awe at how handsome the young clan leader truly was. his facial features were sharp, and his eyes held a fire so intense, they looked close to bursting at any moment. lan y/n gulped. nie mingjue was in a whole different level compared to the peacock, jin zixuan, or even jiang cheng; as all of them had sharp and handsome features, which was evidence of their short tempers.

lan y/n gulped. he felt drawn into the intense fire that was nie mingjue. he didn't notice he was staring so awestruck at the tall man, until he chuckled. "my, that lotus hairpin is truly exquisite." nie mingjue praised with a smile as he stood straight, but he kept his hand on lan y/n's wrist. with his other hand, he gave a gentle nudge to the bell that hung on the hairpin, smiling at the clear sound it released. "lan qiren mentioned he had a troublemaking nephew, and that i would be able to identify him with a lotus hairpin." he said, his eyes going from the delicate, and symmetrical carving of the lotus, and to the awestruck face of the much smaller figure in front of him.

"or the two scars running across his lips."

nie mingjue smirked as lan y/n cleared his throat and looked away, trying to hide the side of his face where his scars were. "oh, did he now?" he says, his voice a little shaky. he glanced at his wrist that was still trapped in the confines of nie mingjue's rough fingers. he tried to tug it loose, but nie mingjue would only look at his wrist, then back to him. "are you gonna let me go, or..?"

nie mingjue chuckled, deep and almost hypnotizing for the youngest lan. he released his hold, and lan y/n massaged his wrist. "that's quite the scar, lan c/n." nie mingjue began. "where did you get it?" he asked, his eyes gazing over the jagged lines that ran up his lips. "a fierce corpse scratched me, came out of nowhere." lan y/n answered with a grumble. "please don't look any further." he pleaded quietly, turning away from the much larger man.

"why not?" nie mingjue asked, extending a hand towards lan y/n so his fingers could gently graze over the pinkish lines. lan y/n moved away a little, slightly weirded out at the clan leader's attempt to touch him. "i think they're quite beautiful. a mark of a warrior." nie mingjue stepped back. "my brother also mentioned you. when he returned from gusu, he could never stop babbling about a mischief-making disciple, with two scars running across his lips."

"your brother?" lan y/n curiously asked. "yes, nie huaisang. that good for nothing student." nie mingjue scowled, subconsciously tightening his hold on lan y/n's wrist. "ah, so you're the brother he talks about." lan y/n chuckled, not really minding the tight grip nie mingjue had on him. "the one who he said would break his legs if he came back with a bad grade." lan y/n added with a laugh, and nie mingjue chuckled. "that would be me."

"will you be participating in the archery competition?" he asked. "yeah. although i probably won't shoot any arrows, my eyesight isn't as sharp as my other senses, unfortunately." lan y/n chuckled sheepishly as looked away. "that's truly unfortunate. i was looking forward to seeing your archery stance, i heard it was quite the sight for sore eyes." nie mingjue chuckled as he patted lan y/n on the head. the shorter blushed at the action.