𝐂𝐢𝐫𝐜𝐮𝐦𝐟𝐞𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐝 𝐖𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐋𝐨𝐯𝐞

Anjana and Naveen walked towards his room while she saw the candle flame flickering hastily. She moved near the window and shut it gently catching Naveen's attention. He held the candle in his hand and slowly walked into the room. She ignored the electric fan beside her foot, peered into the room and saw him placing the candle on the table. Silently, she touched his shoulder. Naveen lifelessly looked at her.

Naveen: Are you okay?

Anjana: It has been more than ten years Naveen... I should be okay. Except for the fact that this man still lives on happily..

Naveen remains silent.

Anjana: Are you okay? I never thought in my dreams that your father..

Naveen: Leave that, what are we going to gain talking about him.. I always knew that he was a bad person but, not to this extent.

Anjana: But still, he is your father..

Naveen: Maybe, if he had behaved like one... Anju, I was never happy around him nor was my family. The fights, the screams, I can't forget them...

Anjana looked at him worried. She delicately held his fingers and he reciprocated.

Naveen (confiding): Do you know something?

Anjana raised her head slightly.

Naveen: I hated to watch or read violence because of my past... and I was bullied by my friends for being a boy and not watching action films or intense sequences.. it may seem like a small thing, but I used to be so embarrassed of myself.

She gripped his hand tightly.

Naveen: The last time I saw that man was when he hit Aadhira.. that impression won't leave anytime, I swear. After he left our lives, Amma still had to struggle. Aadhira and I would be left alone at home, most of the time. To just switch from that phase was so difficult, the repercussions continued for a long time. Unable to manage both of us and our situation, Amma used to suffer a lot. That phase doesn't affect me now.. but the loneliness.. that haunts me even now..

Anjana hugged him and caressed his shoulder. He hugged her back leaving tears unconsciously.

Anjana (stuttering): It's okay...

Naveen nodded his head and took a huge breath.

Naveen: Life felt like an dark, empty grave.

Anjana hit his shoulder asking him to stop.

Naveen (chuckling): Wait wait.. and that's when you came.

Her lips curved giving way for a smile.

Naveen: If I just said that you changed my life, it would be not fair at all. You just gave birth to an another me...

Anjana grinned with tears in her eyes. She pulled her head back and faced him. He looked at her confused.

Anjana: Should I say "I love you"?

Naveen (grinning): Please don't!

They continued hugging each other with a wide smile on their faces and broke the hug after two whole minutes.

She paced towards the bed and lied down on it. She took Naveen's book lying on the table and used it as a fan.

Naveen: Adi paavi (You sinner), is this what you use my book for?

Anjana (sheepishly smiling): Appo appo! (At times!)

Naveen: Great! Give it to me then, I'll help you..

As he stood near the bed, he saw her face half-covered by the light of the candle flame and remaining by his shadow. He admired her face glowing in the wavering golden light. He sat near her and took the book from her.

Anjana: Thank you Authorey...

Naveen: My pleasure madam. (smiling)

Naveen looks around the room.

Anjana: What happened?

Naveen: Nothing.. even the windows are not open, but why is the candle flame flickering?

Anjana chuckles.

Anjana: Maybe.. Indhra is somewhere here..

Naveen (petrified): EH? What?

Anjana: You never know.

Naveen: Hey... be serious Anju.

Anjana (mocking): Hello, don't treat my friend like a ghost.

Naveen looks shocked at her and gets up from the bed and keeps the book on the bed.

Naveen: Then, you stay here... I'm leaving, good night!

He goes out of the room. Anjana laughed seeing him fear at her prank and relaxed herself on the pillow.

TO BE CONTINUED