𝐈𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐛𝐭𝐞𝐝

Her eyes widen hearing the person in the call. She immediately takes her bag, cuts the call and books a cab.

The other receptionist: At least send a mail to our Asst. Manager about leaving early.

She (anxiously): Yeah I'll send it while going in the cab, my mobile data is over.

The other receptionist: You can't leave without them approving right...

She: They will anyhow approve only da... but this is very important.

The cab arrives.

The other receptionist: Bye, take care.

She waves her hand to him. She tells the OTP and gets into the car in a jiffy.

She: Anna, what is the WiFi password?

Cab Driver: *******

She: Thank you.

She quickly opens her mail and searches for the keyword "Leave Application". One sent mail appears with the date March 2021, which was 3 months back.

She copy pastes the text in the mail and send it to the Asst. Manager and messages her friend saying she is on the way.

The car comes to rest at "Anjali Charitable Trust". She pays him and goes inside.

She: Anjali? Did the doctor arrive? She is fine now right?

Anjali (gloomily): Yeah... she fainted because of low blood sugar levels... now she's okay.

She goes inside the room with Anjali labelled "Founder". The room had a small bookshelf with files and registers stacked in it at the left corner of the entrance. Horizontally parallel to the bookshelf was a huge-enough table with the bible placed on its center, a souvenir made with the cross-sign, a photo album that she never showed anybody and a name-board saying "Iryn Matthews". On the wall to the right side of the table hung, articles of their children whose success news had come on magazines and newspapers. Near them were photo frames of beautifully printed Christ quotes. The room's aura was something divine because of her presence.

She: Ma, are you fine now?

Iryn opens her eyes slowly.

Iryn: Anjana ? Why are you here now? You are supposed be at office right?

Anjana: Yes ma, Anjali had called me and told me that you fainted... leave all that, how are you feeling now? Better?

Iryn: I am completely fine da, its just that these people got scared. If you have diabetes, then these things are normal

Anjana: Why ma, aren't you following your diet properly?

Iryn: I am not able to follow it because of my work da. I sometimes tend to forget to take tablets as well.

Anjana: Anjali... aren't you giving her the tablets?

Iryn: Da, make some porridge for me. Its been so long right?

Anjana senses something to be wrong but still agrees and goes to the kitchen with Anjali.

Anjana: Why are both of you restless? Ma, is suddenly not well, you are also not taking care of her isn't it?

Anjali puts her head down. Anjana sees her friend.

Anjana: Hey ! When did you come from Bangalore?

Anjana's friend: I came to Chennai a week before to meet my in-laws with my wife. That is when Anjali texted me about Mother's health condition and financial difficulties.

Anjana: Oh.. wait.. financial difficulties?

Anjali frowns at him. He gets confused.

Anjana (turns to Anjali): Why didn't you tell me?

Anjali: It was Amma who told me not to... And you are already struggling to save money to payback your education loan right...

Anjana: So? Do you think I would have not given you if you had asked?

Anjali: No di... You know right, Amma's journey hasn't been easy. She started her own trust when I was 5 that was a year after she adopted me. I don't know if you know this Anjana, but Amma had a best friend whom she was really close to. But due to a few misunderstandings they separated. But despite all this she stood strong. That's why we thought we would be able to manage this also ourselves. But for the past one year we have not been able to collect enough funds for the trust. Finally we had decided to borrow a loan from a money lender, but that's turned things to the worst. They are urging us to repay the money before due time. We have been working extensively for this the whole month, that is why I had been to Kerala last week. We are not able to pay back the loan... that is why Amma got stressed.

Anjana: This much has happened, and you didn't inform a word about this to me. Why do you think we are here then? If it was not for Ma or this orphanage we wouldn't have survived. You think we would not have at least a pinch of gratitude ?

Anjali feels guilty for not informing her.

Anjana: I am going to the ATM. Wait for me. I'll be back before its lunch.

On her way to the ATM, she goes to an Internet Parlour and opens WhatsApp Web. She scans the QR code from her phone and starts typing a message about the trust's financial difficulties and forwards it to all her friends from the orphanage. She logs out, clears the browsing history and leaves the Internet Parlour. She withdraws an amount of 20,000 from her account. She keeps the receipt inside her handbag not willing to see the balance.

As she comes in, she sees a little boy standing behind the door. She calls him and gives him a chocolate. She opens an old cupboard and takes a comic book from it. When she opens the first page, she sees the name "Anjana Iryn" written on it and smiles. She leans down to the boy and places the book on his hand.

Anjana: You should read a lot of books, okay?

The boys nods and runs to his friends to show his new possession.

Anjali: I made porridge, you give it to...

Anjana: Show your hand.

Anjali lends her hand. Anjana gives the money to her and smiles. Before Anjali could say anything Anjana makes her way to the entrance.

Anjana: Bye, I'll catch up later. Bye to you too da !

Anjana's friend bids goodbye. Anjali stares at her.

Anjana: And... I'll ask the advertising executive of our company for ideas to advertise our trust. It would do some help for sure ! Don't worry, we'll be fine.

Anjana leaves with her beautiful smile imprinted on her face. She takes her phone to call the advertising executive, but it gets switched off. She reaches the women's hostel that she was staying in.

Hostel warden: Anjana ! Someone called Chithra had called you, she tried to your number also it seems. She asked you to call her back.

Anjana nods her head in doubt. She goes near the telephone stand and holds the receiver. She swiftly puts it back in disagreement and walks away from it.

TO BE CONTINUED.