〈 chapter 1 3 〉

✦┈⋆┈⋆┈ ⋞ 〈 13 〉 ⋟ ┈⋆┈⋆┈✦

Tiny specks of dust seemed to dance in the shaft of afternoon sunlight that slanted through the window.

A black bell-shaped gown with three velvet bands, a golden tassel placed on the left and a velvet cap on her hijab looked ravishing. She beamed spinning around and viewing the speckless graduation robe she had worn.

"Wearing the garb of graduation is a lifetime memory, don't forget to bring your loved ones to the ceremony; it's beautiful to look at their prideful smile."

Maryam stared at her hands with a frown on her face as she reminisced the words of her professor. No one was going to show up at her ceremony and she did not expect anyone to. Humera had her graduation too. She smiled recalling how they thought about driving into the world of fairies riding a flying horse, but the world of reality hit them hard;making them mature and durable.

A little feeling of betrayal and pain hit her as her aunt rarely contacted her and she was right in her way; to protect her children and maryam. Maryam never thought she could pave a way towards her dream and it was not possible without her aunt.

"You made it" She smiled for herself, gazing at her university. The journey from first to last year was hard yet worth it. She made few friends but none of them had the essence her best friend had.

—-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The names were being called in the alphabetical order and the cheers were not  going down. The parents looked so proud of their children that they kept talking and smiling and trying to be part of every MOMent.

A buzz was going through the hall in which all the seniors were waiting and they looked like bees swarming in the hall. It was becoming hot and they were all getting impatient. Maryam was having a little fun but not really.Her feelings were that of a person who realised she's going to miss what she had, but wanting to get the ceremony over with because it was taking too long.

"What is taking so long? When will I get out of this hall?" She spoke as she adjusted her robes.

Her heart beat suddenly rose as the names with the letter "M"  were being called out. She prepared herself by taking deep breaths. Who knew going on that stage to take your degree would be such a difficult task.

"Miss Maryam Qureshi, student of department of neurology" the anchor called

Maryam's heart skipped a beat, her friend nudged her to go, she shook her head to come back to reality. Ready to transform from a student into an alumnus she ambled towards the stage.

She started walking on the stage and the moment she walked up the time slowed down. She noticed a lot of things in the short moment, the smell in the air, the lights, the colours and the silence of everyone as they saw her entrance. She avoided looking anywhere except her legs, it looked as if everyone waited for her to make a mistake.