Painted Perfection

Start from the beginning

"I can try. But I'd rather just hold you for a time." He says, rubbing his thumb over my shoulder.

It's now that I remember last night. I had a nightmare, but so did he. I fell asleep before he did, obviously. My brows furrow as I look up at him.

"Dami?" I start. He raises a brow.

"Yes?" I take a small breath.

"Why didn't you sleep last night?" I ask. Was he just thinking? Was he worried? Was he, scared?

"I simply couldn't fall back asleep." He states. I frown.

"Have a nap then. I'll be right here when you wake up." I assure. I don't see his reaction, instead snuggling my face into his chest and getting comfortable.

I listen to his heartbeat. It's steady and loud with my ear right next to his chest. It's comforting as my nightmare from last night flashes through my mind.

The looks of distaste, the way Tim scoffed at me, Damian shoving me off of him, Dick laughing, Jason's threats. They all replay in my head as I do my best to contradict it with reality.

They don't look at me like that, Tim laughs with me, I'm laying on Damian's chest right now, Dick doesn't laugh like that, Jason wouldn't threaten me. It was just a dream.

I notice Damian's breathing has evened out. It's rare that he's the one asleep and I'm the one awake. I gently look up to gaze at his peaceful features.

His emerald eyes have closed, his eyebrows are still somehow furrowed, his jaw is unclenched and his lips are just slightly parted. Stunning.

His tan skin is only a shade lighter than mine, probably from the typical lack of sun. The sun's rays melt over his face and the collar of his shirt. His hair is tousled but away from his face as usual. I'm enjoying these moments.

I don't know how much time passes as we lay like this. My thoughts wander through my head, passing through and passing on. The sun has rippled over Damian's face.

After just a few more minutes he takes in a very deep breath, squeezing his eyes and blinking them open. He makes a face, which I find adorable.

"How long was I out?" He grumbles. I glance over at his clock again, doing some quick math.

"An hour and a half." I inform quietly. He nods, his arms hugging me tighter.

"Did you fall asleep at all?" He questions. I shake my head.

"Nope." I say happily. He sighs.

"Let's get up then. But first." He says with a smirk. He pulls me in for another kiss, to which I accept and return happily.

We do end up rolling out of bed after that. I start heading to my room and Damian heads down the hallway to the kitchen.

I open my door and freeze in my tracks. I narrow my eyes and step into my room without blinking. I only take small glances around my room, trying to find a piece of paper.

I could use toilet paper to kill this thing, but then I'd have to take my eyes off of it to get to the bathroom. I settle for just having a staring contest with it, muttering threats.

"Don't you dare move I swear to God if you so much as take a step I will end you with my bare hands. You better stand still you little shit because I'll get you." I mutter, glaring daggers at the spider that sits on my doorframe.

"Cora? Who are you talking to?" Damian asks, a bottle of water in his hand. I don't look at him directly, but I point at the tiny menace beside his shoulder. He looks at it for maybe a millisecond before just smushing it with his water bottle.