coffee at midnight & burnt toast sundays

Start from the beginning

"This is an incredible place you've found," said Joe as he looked around the quiet restaurant. It was romantic with the dim lighting, most of which came from candles. There were few other people around them, mainly couples quietly conversing over a meal.

"Just stumbled across it online. It's nice and secluded," Taylor said, blissfully looking around. There was one accent brick wall decorated with fairy lights, something Taylor found incredibly appealing.

"It's the perfect blend of romantic, quaint, and cute," Joe commented.

"Yeah... perfect for us," Taylor said. She looked back at Joe, who was staring at her with something beyond admiration and adoration. A soft smile fluttered onto her face, and for a moment it was only them in the room, sharing a beautiful moment with each other.

"Excuse me, are you ready to order?" the waiter asked.

"Yes, please. I'll have fettuccine alfredo," Taylor said, handing her menu to the waiter.

"And I'll have the spaghetti bolognese please. And a side of garlic bread," Joe ordered.

"All right. That will be out shortly."

"So... where were we?" Taylor asked. She felt Joe's hand rest on top of hers, and she looked down at his hand for a moment before glancing back up and smiling even wider.

Taylor felt their dinner passed too quickly. The comfortable conversation was that of the small talk you had with someone you understand deeply, whose emotions you can grasp just from a single glance into their eyes. Someone you know and cared so much about, even the most mundane of subjects could become interesting.

"I'm not ready for this night to be over," Taylor said as they wasted time before leaving the restaurant, having already paid. She stood up, slipping her coat on.

"Who said it had to be over?" Joe asked. He stood up as well, now standing face to face with Taylor. "The night never has to end." He began buttoning her coat, and Taylor watched his fingers move as he did so.

"The sun will come up eventually," Taylor pointed out.

"We'll make the most of the night until that dreadful moment," Joe said, smiling at Taylor after finishing up the buttons. "Take my hand, darling, we're just getting started."

Taylor giggled, her hand finding Joe's as they walked out of the restaurant and into the night and found his car parked in the street.

"We'll drive down the highway along the coast, it'll be nice," Joe said as they both got into his car.

"It's so nice out tonight," Taylor commented as they began their drive. "It's nice that California nights aren't too cold... or more accurately, too hot. And the sky is clear, and you can really see the stars out here."

"Just wait until you see where I'm taking you," Joe said, taking his eyes off the road for a moment to glance at Taylor.

"You've captured my attention. Where are we going?" Taylor asked.

"Patience, grasshopper. You'll see when we arrive," Joe said.

"Annoying," Taylor mumbled, pouting.