Chapter 6

Flashback...
(you had been working there for three months now - the timing is two months after the first flashback).

...

"Did you know that bees have five eyes? And did you know that cats sleep 16-18 hours per day? I wish I could sleep that much..." Waylon was going through an old fact book, which he found from library, while you were lying down on his lap listening to him.

"Bees have five eyes??? I'm not gonna look at them in the same way anymore!" you tried to write, not having any platform for your notepad, so your handwriting was what it was.

"My cat fact didn't impress you??" Waylon squinted his eyes and furrowed his eyebrows. He looked at you a confused expression on his face, but only as a sarcastic joke.

You shook your head and started writing once again. You loved how patient he was with you.

"I dare you to tell some wilder fact!"

You had that find grin on your face as you let Waylon to read it. He had that "challenge accepted" look on his face as he started reading the book for "wilder facts".

"Ahem... you can take a cat far away from its home and it'll find it, but when its owner moves far away from home, the cat can't find them,"

"...I guess that makes sense," Waylon said, scratching the back of his head as he realised that the fact wasn't that epic, although it definitely sounded one. You laughed a bit, nodding as an agreement.

Waylon's smile didn't last long, though. He soon looked worried as he closed the book and started at the cover.

"Are we really going to cover the bad things that are happening around us just by ignoring them and pretending like everything's fine?"

"...and that was a rhetorical question, by the way..." he added.

"He's right... he's absolutely right. People are getting tortured at the moment and we're just laughing here, trying to block that out? But I guess it's fair. We can't leave and...this is the only way to keep us sane. We've seen so much cruelness, so we deserve to take a timeout from that..."

"I don't know what you're thinking, but...I just want to go home," Waylon said, staring at the ceiling.

"You've to stay strong - we've to stay strong. And this is our only way to do so. I'm frickin' happy to know you, Waylon. And I'm thankful to be here. On your lap, I mean - not in this hellhole,"

Waylon chuckled a bit as he read the last sentence, shaking his head.

"Yeah, I'm happy too that you're pressing my thighs,"

"Your week-ass thighs," you laughed at your own joke a bit. But was it a joke?

"At least my thighs will get stronger," Waylon joked.

"I wish these moments could last forever. "Surprisingly" I don't want to work here. I don't want to remember the reality that is waiting for me tomorrow. God why did I accept this job? It was super sketchy yet I didn't realise. Well, it's pointless to cry about it now,"

"...I guess you were right," Waylon said, but you kept looking at him with the confused expression on your face, waiting him to continue.

"You really keep me sane here,"