Chapter 8

Small space only had a wooden table in the middle with an uncomfortable chair, which I was sitting in it. Around me, the dark cream walls colored with only one wall with a large mirror. 

I had been sure that on the other side of the mirror, people were watching me.

Finally, denim blue jeans with a black tee, muscles making a prominent appearance, entered the dreadful room by making a way inside from the metal door. He closed the door behind him slowly and stood there for a moment. His dark eyes watched me with intensity, while I matched in the same way.

Finally, he spoke, "My name is Detective Lorenzo."

That name rang a bell.

I said smiling, level-handled, "Pleased to meet you."

He asked me, noting that he was rigid, "Do you know why you are here?"

I simply replied, "I do not."

Detective Lorenzo narrowed his coppery eyes, "Then, let's get straight to the point. Take a look at this."

The folder that seemed to come out of nowhere opened and it was brought towards me. The few pictures that were displayed in front of me were of a body covered with blood in the alleyway that I had seen before. I covered my eyes before I could see further. 

Not out of fear, but purely of acting.

I said, nervously, "Dear God!" I requested, "Please, take that away from me."

I heard some ruffling and finally, the detective complied, "It is closed."

Taking my palms from my face like a wounded animal, I opened my eyes slowly as to demonstrate the discomfort that had caused. I said weakly, "Please, refrain yourself from showing me such things. Sometimes, the world can be scary."

Detective Lorenzo asked, coyly, "Can it?"

I asked him with another question, softly, "What do you mean?"

Ignoring my ignorant interrogation, he showed a picture of a man with green hair and dirty brown eyes. He looked menacing in the picture as the beard took a bold stand. I had almost not recognised this man if it wasn't for the necklace he wore.

Detective Lorenzo started, "Do you know this man?"

The same rusty bullet pendant.

Still keeping a façade, I said, "No, Detective."

He sat straighter on his chair and uttered, "That is very strange, Miss Vitiello."

The man who had betrayed me to enforce law and order to Detective Lorenzo was gone, but even dead, he seemed to haunt me. But I wondered for how long...

I continued, "I am not sure if I understand."

Detective Lorenzo said while pointing at the picture in front of me, "This is Nico Givez, he was working as a waiter in one of your restaurants."

I simply gasped, surprised, "Oh..." The detective didn't continue the conversation, which then I added, "Well, I have several establishments around the city, and I don't know all my employees. I let my managers find the personnel. I wouldn't know."

He simply asked, acting coyly, "No?"

I confirmed, "No, Detective Lorenzo."

Detective sat back, trying to be comfortable, and continued, "Then, I should talk to one of your managers, shouldn't I?"

I said, firming my lips, "I would suggest so."

The detective hummed and looked at the ground for a short, while he was still trying to find the words. I decided to utter, "May I go, detective?"

His orbs looked at my figure once again and uttered certain, "No."

Reigning my anger and irritation and stopping from slipping my mask, I told him, "I am not sure how else to help you."

Detective Lorenzo asked with his dark eyes overlooking at me like they wanted blood, "I know who you are, Sianna Vitiello."

I hid my smirk before it could form, but then I said like a melody, "I am glad you know."

The detective smirked at my phrasing. He added after a while, "I know that you deal illegally, Sianna. Nico told me himself. He was trying to gather evidence, and we almost had it."

I said with fake outrage, "I am sorry?"

Looking away, Detective Lorenzo revealed with disgust and revulsion, returning his gaze, "We were so close, so close. But you killed hi--"

I interrupted with an innocent look, "That is nonsense, detective. I would never do that. Do you have any evidence of what you are accusing me of?"

His eyes narrowed at my question, but the words never were laid out loud. I sighed, "I suggest you refrain from making these outrageous accusations."

The detective asked, defiant, "Or what? You will kill me too?"

I said with certainty instead, "Have you thought that Nico could be lying? His lies could have been manufactured and used to frame me from something that I have no idea what you are talking about."

Detective Lorenzo looked at me with anger, but he muttered with a single statement, "He wasn't lying." I shook my head at him, but he continued, "What are you going to do, Sianna? Tell your petty friends to help you out like they always do?"

I echoed, confused for once, "My petty friends?"

The detective added, "Antonio Cortez? Or Liam Callahan? Or maybe Gage Calibri?"

Frowning at the interrogation, I asked, "What do they have to do with this?"

Detective Lorenzo said tired, "Don't they? You do the dirty deed and they clean it up? I mean your adoptive father works in the cleaning business."

I stopped him from getting any further and stated, "I am not sure what you want from me, but this is getting out of hand. One thing is accusing me of such outrageous crimes, but then involve my family? They, nor I, do anything illegally, much less murder."

Did he believe my lies?

He asked, "Are you sure you don't want to tell me the truth?"

Fortunately, not.

Deadening silence seemed to enlace as we both processed where this conversation could lead us. He wanted to know all the secrets that I hid, but he had no evidence to back him up.

I declared after few heartbeats, sealing my fate, "If you have any evidence against me or my family, then please present it. Otherwise, we are done here."

I like a good challenge.

Before the detective could continue, another voice rang in the air and said that I was free to leave because my lawyer had cleared everything out. I smiled at what I heard and looked at the detective who looked like a ticking-time-bomb.

The door of the dull interrogation room opened and revealed my lawyer, Benedict Tuck. He had been with the Vitiello family for few decades. Not, only that but the man had never lost any court cases since he joined La Famiglia. Next to him, his younger version stood, his dear and not-so-innocent son, Elijah Tuck.

Benedict shouted in the small room, "Miss Vitiello, do not say another word. They can't charge you with anything, you are free to go."

I nodded at him, before I could fully be out the way, Detective Lorenzo caught my attention. He said, unable to hide his true feelings, "When I find incriminating evidence about you and your criminal friends, I will make sure that you all are in for a long-long time."

A moment seemed to pass as I composed myself from killing him on the spot.

Although, I smiled at him and said before leaving, "Until next time, Detective."

***

Vote and leave comments :)