Chapter 7

Knock. Knock.

A bright and beautiful day seemed to shore upon me, disregarding yesterday's events. The mountain of papers laid on my desk ready to read and make notes, but my attention was grabbed by a knock. I shouted, "Enter."

As the door opened, the man revealed with a signature black suit greeted, "Ma'am."

Glancing at the papers below, I exhaled quietly while I glanced at the papers below, I began ordering, "Bernardo, I will need you to--"

Staring back at his expressionless face, I noticed how his muscles were tense and his eyes motivated with agitation. To a normal individual, he would seem cold, but I have known him for a lifetime. I asked instead, "What is the matter?"

He declared, "We have a problem."

Didn't I always?

I expected the worst as I uttered, "Who is the snitch?"

Bernardo was confused but remained steady, "None that I know of."

That intrigued me, "Then, what?"

He spoke finally, "Ma'am, there are two officers downstairs."

This sudden visit was indeed intriguing, I continued asking, "Don't they know not to disturb me?"

Bernardo uttered no word.

After few heartbeats, I nodded and announced, "Tell them that I will be coming shortly."

Bernardo said monotony, "Yes, Ma'am." Before he left, he decided to ask, "Shall I inform Mr. Vitiello?"

I said, still dazed by the officer's visit, "No. Neither my lawyers. Let's find out the reason before we take such action."

Bernardo nodded once more, "Yes, Ma'am."

***

Walking through my corridors, I finally reached my living room. The soft pink walls were an inviting room, however, with the sun present, the designs that were engraved were more prominent and livelier.

It was truly a beautiful room, enchanting.

I saw two officers looking at those same engravings on the wall. They were dressed in their normal uniform. I noticed that these individuals had guns on their holsters but against me, they wouldn't last long.

Ignoring my irritation, I said with a fake smile, "Gentlemen."

Their attention was broken, they smiled cheerily and greeted back. I decided to ask, "How can I help you on this fine morning?"

One of the policemen with a fat belly said flirtatiously, "Morning, Miss Sianna. It is a fine morning indeed."

Crawling from within, I still remained smiling, "Yes, it is. What can I do for you?"

Finally, he announced, "Miss Sianna, you need to come with us to the station."

Bernardo inched closer towards me like a shield, but I questioned while frowning slightly, "Why is that? Did I do something wrong?"

The man began to laugh as I had told him a hysterical anecdote, but he managed to spill, "I am sure is nothing. We have a new inspector in our station, and he is revisiting every detail. I am sure it will take a second."

I asked, "Wouldn't it be easier if he asked me here?"

He continued, "Yes, I had suggested as such. But I can't go against his orders."

I whispered, "Right."

The same policeman asked with curiosity, "I am sorry, but I have to ask, why do you have so much security?"

I looked at him with the same expression that I had been holding for a long time, "My father is overprotective, you see. He worries a lot."

The policeman nodded thoughtfully at my words as I gave him a reasonable answer. That seemed to satisfy for the moment.

My eyes drifted to the second policeman, and now that I looked thoroughly, he looked young and inexperienced. He must have been a new addition to the station. I made a mental note to make him a spy for this unknown new inspector that could ruin what I built.

I announced, confidently, "Well, we better get going."

The policemen nodded once, as I had just popped the bubble, and began exiting my house. But before I followed them, I looked at Bernardo with a known look. He understood immediately and began dialing someone. 

***

Vote and leave comments :)