10

Friday, February 20, 2006

School went on as normal and I found myself missing the Cullens a little less. Though that doesn't mean I've stopped missing them completely. Alice has seemed to drop off the radar and Jaspers been calling less, though he still calls when he can. Nothing much was going on around the Uley household. Emily and I cooked well Sam ran out to chop wood.

After dinner we laidback in the living room and watched the Harry Potter series up to the latest movie, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. We expected the night to end like that but when someone began knocking loudly on the door of our cabin I found myself reciting one of Hagrid's lines.

"You're a Wizard Harry." I chuckled as I opened the door before stopping when I saw Embry.

He didn't need to say anything to Sam or I as we pushed through the door over to the Blacks. Jacob was in the yard near the forest as he phased. He was naturally scared as he whimpered and struggled to stay on all fours. His russet brown fur stood on its ends as Sam and I both slowly approached him.

"Hey, Jake, you're okay." I was first to reach him and softly placed my hands on either side of his face.

My hands disappeared under his fur as I stared Jacob in the eyes.

"You need to calm down for me, that's the only why you'll get out this." His hackles slowly dropped as I ran my fingers through his fur.

Eventually Jacob phased back and Sam helped him stand up. I stood beside Billy as I watched and listened closely to what Sam was saying.

"How's life as a Uley?" I looked down to Billy as a single chuckle left my lips.

"Really, Jacob just phased for the first time and you're asking me about my life?"

"Sam's got Jacob, I have plenty of time to talk with my son." I sighed as I looked back to Sam briefly.

"It's a change that's for sure. I never intended to leave your house, I didn't even know adoption was necessary in my situation."

"Well, the school was catching onto the absence of your father so it was either get adopted, or go into foster care. I couldn't adopt you, I don't have the money to go through the process and I'd probably be denied anyways. Sam was a good option, he's your family as well, so he had a better chance either way." I pat Billy's shoulder as Sam and Jacob approached us.

"Come on, Alex, let's get home." I nodded before hugging Jacob tightly.

"Welcome to the pack." I whispered before letting him go.

"So what exactly does this mean for Jacob?" I shoved my hands into the pockets my navy track pants as I walked in step with Sam.

"I'll work with him on phasing smoother and getting it feel more natural for him before he joins us on patrol."

"It's always felt natural for me." I kicked a stone along the path as I walked beside Sam.

"When did you first phase, Alex?"

"I think I was like 7 or 8." I was probably the youngest Quileute to phase in the newer generation.

Most members phase around their late teens after coming across the strong scent of a vampire or a heavy presence of a group/coven of vampires. We all knew Jacob would be phasing soon and it was only a matter of time. You see, before we phase for the first time our physique builds up-though some of us aren't so lucky and don't actually build muscle, like me, I'm basically a thick noodle.