6

Monday, February 6, 2006 (Court House)

"Good afternoon your honour. We are here in the matter of the adoption petition of Sam and Emily Uley. Adoption case ** WA *****. They have petitioned to adopt abandoned Alexandra Hill. Present are petitioners Sam and Emily Uley, and the child to be adopted, abandoned Alexandra Hill. Later present is William Black, Alexandra Hill's earlier caregiver, Jacob Black, William Black's son, Rebecca Black, daughter of William Black, Rachel Black, daughter of William Black..." The lady went on to name the rest of the people in the stands mainly consisting of the Black family, Uley family, Jared, and Paul as well as social workers.

The judge went on to tell Sam and Emily to stand at the end of the clerk of the court. They swore to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth before stating their names. It was an anxious half hour in the court room of questions being asked and answered before the judge finalized the adoption. I sat in silence as I looked up at Sam and Emily with wide eyes. Everyone cheered as everything came to a close and the court hearing ended.

Sam, Emily, and I got our photo taken with the official documents and judge before we finally got to go home.

"Alex, wake up." I wasn't surprised that Sam had to shake me awake when we arrived back to the cabin.

"We're home, already?" I slowly slid out of the truck and leaned into Sam's side as we walked.

"Can we go out to eat? I feel like a messy burger and greasy fries." Sam and Emily laughed as I dropped onto the couch.

"Sure, I know you'll want to get changed first though." I pushed myself up and dragged myself to my new room.

It wasn't much bigger than the one I had well living with the Black's and the walls were painted a medium grey with a tinge of blue, instead of white. Walking straight through the door to your left is my closet and across from it is a twin sized bed with flannel sheets. Beside it there's a small bookshelf that doubles as a nightstand. On the right side of the door, which was against the right wall, was my desk with a large window above it and a larger bookcase tucked into the corner. It wasn't much, but it's exactly what I need.

I closed my door and threw my cream cardigan over the back of my desk chair. I sorted through my closet before settling with a pair of loose fitted high waisted jeans, white button down, and a black crew neck sweater. I stripped down from the tight and white knitted turtleneck and the flannel pencil skirt. I quickly changed into the much more comforting clothes and threw my dirty clothes into the basket inside my closet. I grabbed my classic dirty converse and slid them on as I jumped down the hallway on one foot.

"You know, it's easier to put your shoes on if you're not jumping down the hallway, right?" I glared at Sam as I finished sliding my shoes on

"You know she doesn't have that kind of patience." Emily slapped Sam's arm as I groaned at their teasing.

"Let's just go, I'm hungry for fast food."