'Why should she? It's perfectly normal to prioritise your romantic partner over a sibling. That's why family households drift apart while lovers close a union for life,' stated Lavia dismissively. 'Now, let's get that red off your lips.'

Emilee longed to ask Lavia not to, but was scared of upsetting her so she remained silent. To be honest, the red had been too bold for her, though the pink replacement didn't quite feel right either. Still, Ela and Lavia knew better, she was sure of that.

Not long after, she and Lavia parted ways. Emilee made her way through endless hallways, unsure whether this was anywhere near the right direction. She'd never been to the royal living quarters, but the Eseterrians had been invited for a dinner before the ball.

Six guards stood in front of a door, but stepped aside when they saw Emilee. She hesitated, then knocked gently. The guards seemed to think it was the right room. She heard an 'enter' so opened the door.

After years in the palace and months as an Eseterrian, Emilee hadn't realised the palace could still impress her. The room was dark and elegant. The wall was painted red, but with ornate patterns that rather reminded Emilee of people. A three tier chandelier hung from the ceiling, the gold wiring twisting like branches with birds sat on them. The dining table was long and of excellent craftsmanship, the names of all the Chukwuemeka kings engraved in the side. Emilee couldn't help but stand still for a moment in an attempt to take it all in.

'Yes, Steffen Davril did a splendid job,' Idi Chukwuemeka contently stated.

That made Emilee gasp in amazement. Steffen Davril was one of Cines' greatest artists and architects and he'd lived approximately three hundred years prior. Emilee adored his work, he usually painted hyperrealistic estates and interiors. Naturally Emilee knew he'd been commissioned for some of the palace's rooms, but actually getting to dine in one was like a dream come true.

By the time she'd calmed down a bit, Merari and Arcane had entered. They both curtsied, reminding Emilee that her excitement had made her forget to. Could she catch it up now? Probably not.

'Your Majesty, it's an honour to dine here again. Is that a new table cloth?' queried Merari.

'It was a birthday present, all the way from Kavei,' Queen Rashida informed her.

'Our national products are far better,' bickered the king.

The queen rolled her eyes. 'I only requested we use it once. Besides, with Kavei's weavers' international reputation, we could easily add it to Akwokwe's dowry and even pretend it has a greater national value since we had the first meal with our current Eseterrians using it.'

Idi's demeanour softened at the proposition and he glanced at his daughter. 'There's still plenty of time before we need to think about that.'

'Knowing you, you'll only start thinking about it in ten year's time when she's already saying her vows.'

He clasped his wife's hand. 'I know I have a wife that can do all of that far better than I ever could.'

Emilee smiled to herself, touched by their affection. Even politically advantageous marriages could be full of love. She'd have to mention that to Ela soon, she wanted Ela to find the happiness she had with Lavia rather than trying to boost her position by marrying a wealthy jerk.

Soon all five Eseterrians were seated, as was the Chèr. Emilee felt rather out of place and only spoke when directly asked a question, which was rare. They usually came from Sutoku who made sure she and Sabrina weren't left out completely. However, soon the conversation shifted to a topic they had little to say about: the imminent war.