the clan leader sighs. "i'm sorry you had to be separated from him, i can tell how much he means to you." he says. wei wuxian shook his head, "no," he pauses. "this was all my fault." he says, gritting his teeth.

lan y/n stared at their fleeing forms with sad, golden eyes, until they disappeared behind the tall mountains. he felt a hand on his shoulder, and he didn't even have to look to know who it was. "we should head to class. lan-laotou wouldn't like it if we were late." jiang cheng says, but the person he was talking to seemed to be distracted. lan y/n shook his head, ridding his head of all distracting thoughts before he glanced back to him. "i'll miss that guy," he sighs. "guess it's back to being alone again."

he walks towards the lanshi after shrugging off jiang cheng's hand. jiang cheng could only sigh before he jogged slightly to catch up with him. "you don't have to be alone... you know?" he said, and lan y/n scoffs weakly. "please, would you be willing to get in trouble with shufu alongside me?" jiang cheng rolls his eyes and lan y/n nudges him. "i was just kidding." he laughs as he climbs up the stairs to the lanshi. "but, you already know how much my shufu hates me. it's best if you don't associate yourself with me any further, i already got you in trouble once."

lan y/n enters the quiet classroom that was the lanshi. lan qiren was already inside, but there were only a few students in there. other than the empty seat of wei wuxian, there were also other seats that were empty. "huh, i thought wei ying was the only one who got into a fight?" lan y/n ponders quietly as he sits down on the empty seat beside wei wuxian's former desk. he stared at it for a while before sighing.

he looked back and leaned his back on the desk behind him. he couldn't help the teasing smile that formed on his lips as he saw the fresh, purple bruise on the lanling jin disciple's face. "hey there, jin-shixiong, how's it going?" he asked. jin zixuan glared at him. he crossed his arms above his chest and turned away. lan y/n only smirked.

"lan c/n! are you even listening?" he blinks a couple of times before he turned his head towards his uncle, smirk still on his lips. he raised a hand. "i'm lissstening." he drawled. lan qiren only shook his head. "now that wei wuxian is gone, i expect you to start behaving that is appropriate for a disciple of the gusu lan clan."

lan y/n picks up a brush that was dipped in black ink. "don't get your hopes up shufu. i live to disappoint." he laughs, emphasizing the word live before raising his brush and playfully waving it around, the ink splattering onto some students. one of them was lan wangji, and to some extent, the paper jin zixuan was writing in.

but lan y/n was more interested in how his older brother would react. he expected his brother to give him some sort of irritated glare, one he always gave him, but not this time apparently.

wangji only glanced at it with that same neutral expression on his face, then towards his brother, before he returned his attention to lan qiren. "huh?" lan y/n furrowed his brows. his brother never ignored him, especially when he was causing trouble in class. "stop distracting your classmates, lan c/n!" lan y/n pouted as his uncle called him out again. he blew the bangs out of his face as he crossed his arms in front of his chest. "fine."

"