Episode 23: Besides, Who Needs Hexside?

Start from the beginning

"I know. I know. Give her a break, Bump. She's human, but she's still a kid. Lay off."

"Edalyn, can she even do magic with all her human parts? I need a reason to allow her to attend and if in the end she won't be able to do magic, then there's no point in her attending Hexside."

"We don't know if she can do magic yet. I'm... not entirely sure about human anomaly. But come on, that's why you have to teach her!"

"If you aren't sure of her basic components, why do you have her?"

Eda looked away, avoiding eye contact. Why did she keep Luz?

...

Right. Because Luz meant so much to her. She grew on the toddler, and the toddler grew on her. Life was better with Luz, even if by just a smidge. With Luz and King, Eda had something – someone – to live for.

"Because she's my kid. And I've raised her for 3 years without issue." Eda said with a newfound confidence, lifting her chin upwards. Principle Bump nodded and sketched something on a piece of paper.

"Hate to say it, but I admire your words, and I do suppose you're right. But what is she good at? What words can she say? How is she developing? Is she up to par for her age?"

"Um... she can say short sentences, she recognizes names and faces... she's very, very smart, she creates elaborate plans to get what she wants, which is confusing, but she's also very active and friendly and-"

"So, a trouble maker."

"No! No. Just a little mischievous, but it's all in good heart, she's never meant any harm."

"Okay. Can I see her?"

Eda nodded and scrambled to collect Luz from Raine in the lobby. Stepping back in the office, Eda hands Luz to Bump.

Bump inspects the toddler, eyeing her up and down. He used his thumb and index finger to trace Luz's round ears, causing the toddler to giggle in response.

"Interesting," Bump said, sitting Luz on the desk. "Can she demonstrate her abilities?"

"Um... okay, Luz, King really wants that, um, hook, behind this nice gentleman." Eda finished her sentence through clenched teeth, watching Luz process everything she said. After a few moments, Luz used her foot to kick kick everything on the desk over. Bump and Eda gasped, scrambling to pick up the mess. Luz smiled and grabbed Bump's staff, squinting an eye and using the staff to go through the hook. The rounded hook slipped down the staff and straight into Luz's hands, making her giggle.

Eda and Bump sat everything back on the desk. Bump with an annoyed expression on his face groaned, then flinched as Luz used his own staff to bonk him on the top of his head using all her strength. Luz smiled and presented the close-ended hook to Eda, who gave her a nervous laugh in return.

"If she'd been any stronger she'd have knocked me out!" Bump complained, straightening his stuff on the desk. Eda nervously giggled once again.

"She failed, didn't she?"

"Ah – believe it or not, there's been worst. She's creatively using her head to solve problems."

Luz looked to the man she didn't recognize, and as he was looking at Eda, Luz grabbed a heavy book and smashed it on the principle's fingers.

The principle yelped in pain, holding his hand. He leaned a little too far back in the chair and fell backwards, hitting his head on the wall behind him. Luz smiled and Eda quickly picked the toddler up.

Principle Bump groaned and threw a pamphlet to the toddler, letting Eda catch it.

"Welcome, Luz, to Hexside School of Magic and Demonics!" Bump said weakly from the floor. Eda grimaced as Luz clapped and let out a very audible "Hurrway!"