Episode 7: Greatest Grandma Gwen

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"She's... human." Gwen said, a long pause after her low grumble of a sentence. The room was somber, and you could cut through the atmosphere with a knife.

Eda cringed. She wasn't positive on how Gwen would further react. Her mother never used to let on too much about what she thought about humans, and besides, people change.

"Oh well! A granddaughters a granddaughter!" Gwen said suddenly, lifting the baby into the air, touching her own nose to the toddlers. Luz giggled, resting her small hand on Gwen's face.

Eda audibly sighed in relief. King fell into Gwen's arms alongside Luz, nuzzling his head close.

"Oh, grandma! Won't you stay a little longer?" King put his best cutesy voice he could do on, trying to persuade the elder.

"Why of course, sweetheart!"

"Ugh!" Eda threw herself onto the couch, stretching.

"Oh, my Titan, Edalyn! What have you been feeding this girl?" Eda sat up.

"What?"

"Has it been anything? Look at how small she is!"

"She's just a small kid, mom!"

"Oh, sure. How did this even happen? Did you and Raine have too much s-"

"MOM!"

A light coat of red appeared on Eda's flustered face, embarrassment taking over.

"Okay, okay, jeez! Was it the c-"

"Mom..."

"What?! How do two witches have a human baby?!"

"She's not even mine and Raine's!"

Gwen gasped, clasping her heart. "Oh, Raine was such a good witch... how I loved them. And you're saying you didn't birth this sweetheart?!"

Gwen presented the baby to Eda. Eda sighed in frustration, and Luz giggled, reaching for Eda.

Gwen shook her head, snapping her fingers. Suddenly, a truck load of toys piled in the living room, trapping poor King under them.

"Ah! Help!"

Gwen set King free, and sat Luz down next to the toy's. She stood up and brushed herself off, kneeling down to the two.

"Now, excuse grandma so she can make these two little munchkins cookies." Gwen pinched Luz's cheek, making her giggle.

"Now me! Now me!" Gwen pinched King's cheek next, standing up, cracking her back, and trotting towards the kitchen.

King went to play with the toys, but Luz looked around for Eda. When she saw Eda walking towards the kitchen as well, she got on her hands and knees, and attempted to follow, but failed. She cooed extra loud, trying to catch Eda's attention.

Eda turned around and smiled warmly at the toddler. "I'll be with grandma, kiddo."

Eda walked into the kitchen and sat at the dining room table, waving her finger to pour herself some apple blood.

Eda took a sip, sighing at the taste.

"So, Edalyn..." Gwen turned around to face her daughter, placing her hands on the counter behind her. Eda raised an eyebrow and hummed in response, taking another sip of her apple blood. "If you didn't give birth to Luz, then how did you..."

Eda scoffed, turning away. "If it really matters, mom, I found her."

Owlbert, who was sitting next to Hawksley, hooted loudly, beating his wings against his small body.

"Oh, shush, Owlbert. I don't care that you brought her here. You weren't supposed to."

Hawksley hawked in response, rolling his eyes.

"Edalyn, is that to say you wish you never found her?"

Eda paused. Did it? She honestly had no clue herself. Glancing in the living room, Eda saw a small Luz on her hands and knees, staring intensively at the ground.

"I don't- I mean- well- I-" Eda stuttered over her words, trying to find the right thing to say.

Finally, she sighed in defeat. "Of course not, mom... It's just... I don't know what I'm doing, and it's hard... I want to give Luz a good life. A life she deserves, but I don't... know if I can give her that."

Gwen placed the uncooked cookies into the oven, brushing her hands off and trotting towards her daughter. Gwen placed a loving hand on her shoulder, grabbing her chin and gently guiding Eda's eyes to her own.

"Oh, sweetheart... none of us know what we're doing at first. We just learn as we go. I mean, I had no idea what raising a baby was like when I had Lilith! And then, two years later, you came along, and... I knew a thing or two by then. The point is, you'll figure it all out. Life has a way of just... throwing things at you. But I'm sure you'll get where you wanna be. Time heals everything, after all. Honestly, dear, I think you're doing just fine. Nobody is perfect. But you know what can be perfect, hm?"

Gwen awaited Eda's response, staring into her daughter's tear stricken eyes. Her lower lip trembled as she tried to regain herself.

"W-what...?"

"This little family you have going of yours. Tell me, dear. Do you love Luz?"

"Yes, mom."

"Then you're doing just fine. Because..." a slight giggle came from Gwen. "It's clear the kid loves you back." Gwen nodded to the doorway.

Eda turned her head to see the small baby slowly crawling over, hands steadily holding her -- and the small demon on her back -- up. King had his legs crossed as he looked proudly at his minio- sister.

Eda clasped a sweaty hand over her mouth, choking on her gasps. Luz made her way to Eda, reaching for the woman, cooing.

"Eda! Eda!" Luz got on her knees, resting her hands on Eda's leg. King tumbled backwards, landing on the ground with a thud.

Eda carefully picked the baby -- her baby -- up, looking into the small girls eyes. What she saw, was a look of nothing more but love and trust. Eda was amazed at how much this little girl had grown on her.

"What about King?!" King asked, jumping next to Luz, nearly sitting on her as he leaned into her small embrace.

Eda smiled at the two. Her family. That had a nice ring to it.

Eda turned to Gwen, a glimmer of hope in her eyes.

"I'm glad you came. Thanks, mom." Eda smiled at her mother, earning a smile back.

"Anything for my girl, kiddo."

Eda fake scoffed, rolling her eyes and lightly punching Gwen in the shoulder. "You should visit more, mom, y'know? Don't be such a stranger!"

Gwen laughed, rubbing her arm and walking to the oven. "I raised my daughter to have quite the punch!"

"Learned from the best."

Gwen laughed a bit, a huge smile across her face.

"Oh, you. Now, who wants cookies?"

As King whooped, Eda thought about what Gwen had said.

She did love Luz.

She did love her small makeshift family.

She did love what she had.

And honestly? She loved it so much, that she wouldn't have it any other way.