18

I walked down the street with Ponyboy next to me. We were almost connected because of how close we were. He was holding onto my arm in case my leg decided to give out on me, and he had offered to carry me to and from or call Dallas to come over to us. I declined both, and looking back, I don't know why. Sure, I was supposed to walk, but I don't think my doctor meant walking everywhere. 

Pony and I were making small talk, I had told him about the sunrise and sunset I saw when I was in the car and it made me think of him. Pony and his nature things, always confusing us non-nerdy people. But I would always wake up at dawn to watch the sunrise with him if he wanted me to. 

"How do you think he'll respond?" I asked, finally becoming numb to Pony's grasp on my arm. I had forgotten he was holding onto me.

"I don't know." I said. "Did he see me when he came this morning?".

"No, Darry didn't want you to be disturbed." Pony sighed. "It made him mad, for sure. But, he accepted it and Im guessing he went home.".

Speaking of home, we arrived at Buck's. There wasn't a party going on, since it was the middle of the day. Buck never throws parties in the middle of the day. We walked up to the door and Pony knocked loudly.

We waited for a second before Dallas himself opened the door. At least we didn't have to go on a wild goose chase to find him, and I was happy just to see him.

His eyes lit up when he saw me, at first I don't believe he did or he thought I was some random girl- but when he saw me, he immediately took me into his arms. I finally felt truly at home. The Curtis house is my home, but I believe that Dallas is my home in a human. Every human is someone else's home when they're in love. 

"Elsie!" He said, I could feel his hands exploring my back, kissing my neck softly. I giggled, wrapping my arms around him even tighter. His brown hair was where I tucked my face. I could smell the cigarettes and alcohol on his hair, but I could smell a faint cologne. 

"I missed you, Dally." I whispered, running my fingers through his hair. He finally put me down, but was somewhat holding me up still because he noticed my limp and injured leg, and how Pony was holding me up already. 

"Oh, Elsie, you have no idea." Dally placed a gentle kiss on my forehead. 

"Elsie wanted to see you since Two-Bit brought up you came by this mornin'". Pony said, patting Dally's back and grabbing my arm again. I sighed, my leg was bent under me, and I could barely stand on this one leg. I was weak, I wouldn't lie. 

"Come on, let's sit you down." Dally said, leading us to the couch in front of the bar after Pony closed the door. 

"Thank you, Dally." I said, sitting down and getting comfortable on the red couch. Pony sat down a few feet away from me, Dallas sat down right next to me and I leaned my head on his shoulder. I wanted to stay there forever, or maybe I just didn't want to move because of my leg. 

"You're welcome, doll." Dallas had his arm around my shoulders, his other holding a red solo cup filled with water. 

There was silence in the room for a moment, Pony was leaned back on the couch, about to fall asleep. He hadn't slept well, from what Soda told me. Soon enough, he was knocked out on the couch. Dallas and I were quiet, only letting out small giggles every once in a while when one of us would do something sweet. Sure, Dallas wasn't the romantic type, but maybe I was changing that. 

Over the course of my time in Tulsa, I had really fallen head over heels for Dallas. I loved all the boys as friends, but Dallas- he was different. When I was with him, I saw the good in him. It was like my world went from a dull black and white to bright and full of color. I swore I fell in love. This is what love feels like?

"Dally?" I asked, placing my hand gently on his thigh. He looked at my hand and placed his free hand over top of it, and squeezed gently. Maybe seeing that I was a real person and not just some ghost or dream.

"Yes?" He asked.

"I love you." I almost whispered. He turned his head to face me, I finally looked up, the smile fading when I saw the shocked look on his face.

"What?" He stuttered. "You love me?".

"Yeah.." I started. "I think so, at least. You make me feel a way nobody else has ever made me feel.".

"Well, El." He said, moving my hair that had fallen in front of my face to behind my ear. I gazed into his brown eyes, they were bright still. Like the dead gloss that once glazed them had left. He leaned down and pressed his lips gently against mine, almost savoring the taste of my lips. I did the same to him. The kiss felt like heaven, it almost felt like our very first kiss. The butterflies, our blushing cheeks, the desire for each other's souls. 

"I love you too." He said, finally releasing from the kiss in order to grab some air. 

"You promise, Dally?" I whimpered, my hands around his neck, as we had moved. His hands were placed on my waist but moved to my cheeks gently when I asked him. 

"I promise."

----

alright that's it. thanks for reading! I might make another outsiders book soon, but I need some ideas.

check out my preference book! 

-holls

word count: 995