4

darry curtis
i sat at the table, soda and ponyboy on either side of me. i couldn't stop thinking about last night. i genuinely didn't know what to do with elsie. i can't keep her for long, and she's too young to be living out on the street. we don't need another johnny.

"good morning, guys." we simultaneously looked up to face elsie. her copper blonde hair fell over her shoulders, her green eyes were red and dry looking, possibly from crying the whole night. i felt a stab in my heart looking at this poor 16 year old; she was probably so tired and in pain from last night. was this regret? was i supposed to regret telling her she couldn't stay long? she had to know eventually...

"morning, elsie." soda said, standing up and placing his plate in the sink. "you want anything to eat?".

elsie shook her head. "no thanks." she whimpered.

ponyboy stood up next, following soda. "i'm gonna take a shower. i have to get to work." soda said, walking into his room. ponyboy sat down on the recliner by the phone, near where elsie was standing.

"elsie, can i talk to you?" i asked. she looked up at me and i really saw the pain in her eyes. they really were red, and anyone probably might've guessed she was high.

"sure." she said, running her hands along the back of the couch as she approached me slowly.

"i'm sorry about last night." i started. "you weren't supposed to hear any of it.". i paused for a second as her look changed from sad to confused.

"and you were just going to kick me out without my knowledge?" she asked. god, her voice was so sweet to listen to.

"no- well, yes- but, elsie-" she cut me off.

"listen, darry. it's okay. i can just pack up now and move in with dallas. don't worry about me." she sweetly smiled. it wasn't a coy smile or a 'get back at you' smile. she seemed genuine.

"no, elsie. you can stay." i finally blurted out. ponyboy was staring at us with a blank look on his face.

"darry, what are you talking about?" he asked. "what do you mean you'll kick her out?".

"don't worry about it, kid." i sighed. ponyboy rolled his eyes before looking back down at his book that had mysteriously appeared in his lap.

"the boys have taken a liking to you, elsie." i whispered. she nodded before looking down again.
"i know. i'll still see them even if i go to live with dallas." elsie said, placing her soft hand against mine.

ouch.

"i'll see ya later, darry." she frowned and walked back to her room. i didn't want her to leave now. not to stay with dallas. i love dally, sure, but we both know he would 100% bone her then throw her out onto the streets. i didn't trust him.

"you gotta do something, dare." pony said, not looking up from his book.

"look, if i wanted your opinion, i'd ask for it. so shut the hell up." i lashed out. pony looked at me without saying a word, he walked back to his room and slammed the door. why do i push everyone i know away?

••••
two-bit matthews
i was walking with dallas down the street near the drive-in. people were walking all over the place and there were mustangs and trucks driving through the streets.

"what do you think of the new girl- elsie? is that her name?" i asked. dallas lit a cigarette and took a puff of it.

"she's cool, i guess. i haven't gotten much of a chance to talk to her, ya know?" dallas said, blowing smoke out of his throat. "i saw her last night when i went to darry's.".