3

i couldn't even close my eyes without hearing my dads belt or feeling his grasp on my neck. i say up slowly, strands of my copper blonde hair fell over my shoulder from my messy low bun.

i could hear arguing and someone shushing another outside my door. i opened the door just a crack and looked through to see darry, soda, and dallas standing in the kitchen. it was probably 3 in the morning and i could hear their voices louder and clearer.

"i can't keep her for a long time, dallas." darry said, whiping his eyes.

"i know, darry, but she can't just go out on her own. you know how people here are, they'll take advantage of her in a second!" dallas said with a lot cigarette in his hand.

"darry, why can't you-" soda started but darry cut him off.

"it's illegal, soda. i could get in a lot of legal trouble for harboring a runaway." he snapped. "i don't wanna send her out on the streets, but at some point i won't have any other choice.".

dallas and soda looked at each other before looking down. "i guess you're right." soda sighed.

"look, i'm sorry. i wish i could keep her for as long as she wishes to stay, but i can't and you know that." darry sighed, sitting down at the table with dallas and soda.

"go to bed, soda. you have work in the morning." darry pat soda's back as he stood up.

"night." soda said, shutting his bedroom door. i opened the door a little more and slipped out onto the hardwood floor. i walked to the wall separating the main room from the hallway to the bedrooms.

"darry?" i whispered. the boys looked at me simultaneously, a worried look across their faces. "i heard what you said.".

"i'm sorry, elsie." was all he could muster up after a moment of silence. i stepped better into view and moved closer to them.

"if you won't take her, i will." dallas finally said. darry looked at him with a 'seriously?' look on his face.

"i don't know about that dallas." darry chuckled. "i know you. you'd just bone her then dump her back into the streets.".

"i'm offended." dallas whined. "come on, she can couch hop us until she can get a job.".

"you have to be 21 to get a hotel room and 18 to buy a house." darry started. "she looks like she's 12, and i doubt she has an ID on her, and once they find out she's missing, they'll send her back to ohio.".

"i'm 16, darry. you're right. i can't do anything here." the sound of defeat in my voice was more prevalent than i thought it would be. "i might as well just go back to ohio." i whimpered, turning slowly.

darry looked at dallas, they had gone completely silent for a second. i walked back to my room before hearing quick footsteps behind me, turning around to find dallas about to put his hand on my shoulder. i looked into his eyes and shook my head.

"i don't belong here, dallas." i whispered. darry had began walked closer to me and dallas. he shoved his hands into his jean pockets, sighing softly. dallas let go of me as i ran my hands down my skirt, pushing it down tightly against my pale skin.

"don't say that, el." that nickname.. only my mom called me el. i froze and looked at him.
"my mom used to call me el." i gave him a weak smile.
"used to?" he asked. i looked down as i felt my eyes burn with tears.
"never mind." i said quietly, turning away from the boys and walking back to my room.

"good goin, slick." i heard dallas say before walking out the front door, leaving darry alone in the living room.

••••
i slipped under the covers. i pulled the blanket over my neck, to my chin. tears started rolling down the sides of my face. why did dallas have to call me el? he didn't know... how could he of? i haven't told them much of anything, so how could i get mad at dallas?

i wiped my eyes with my hands and closed my eyes tightly. i could feel my eyelids becoming heavy and the darkness overcame me. my eyes felt dry when i finally closed my eyes for good.

"goodnight ma." was all i managed to say before drifting off to sleep.

••••
word count: 754