Chapter 9

Mexico's P.O.V

"Sweetie, I brought you something."

My eyes traveled from Cabi's empty palm to her beaming face. I raised one of my eye brows, as I shuffled away from her. I didn't give her the satisfaction of a response.

I could see something flash behind her eye, it was a thought. I couldn't tell if it was evil or genuine, perhaps it was both. Yet I couldn't shake the prickling feeling that traveled up my spine.

She sat down next to me on the couch, took my hand in hers, and laid a gentle kiss on it. It was much like what a prince would do to a princess, or at least what stories led on for me to believe.

I shook her off of me and my eyes pinched into a glare, "What do you want?" I was surprised by the snappiness in my voice, but I didn't dare show it. For she would catch onto any sign of weakness, and claw at it until she was able to pry it open.

"What do you mean?" My girlfriend asked cluelessly, though it didn't fool me. "Can't I give you some affection without having an alternative motive?"

"No, no you can't. That's simply impossible." I responded, as I returned my attention to the clipboard in my hands. Slips of paper were scattered about over it, and a pencil was haphazardly thrown onto it. Different diagrams showed several values, mostly monetary ones. They were sent to me by officials in my country, and they displayed the new debt that they've fallen into.

Cabi sighed, as her head slumped onto my shoulder, but my wing pushed her away. The distance that had flourished between us had grown from a tiny sprout to a massive tree over the past couple of weeks. I felt very disconnected from her, but that wasn't new to me.

"Babe, please..." She pleaded, although she kept her distance this time. "I, I've been having some trouble recently, I'm not feeling very well, and it feels like everything that I've worked towards is crumbling down around me."

"What sort of trouble?" I questioned. Even if I didn't particularly care for the person that Cabi had become, she was still my lover, so I did care about her well being.

"He's back, Hun...and those imbeciles over in Europe were responsible for it!" My unwanted partner groaned.

"What." I sneered, as my body stiffened and my eyes sharpened.

"You heard me." She told me. "America; the US of fucking A. He's walking about, alive."

"Oh my god..." I muttered. "How?!"

Cabi had stood up by now, and was frantically prancing around the living room in a panicked fury, "I don't know! Well, I do, but not all that well. I knew Massachusetts would be a thorn in my side, but not this much of one! One of my stars has been gone for a while, but I never knew why, until it hit me!"

"What's wrong?"

"Not now, Wild Flower." She grumbled.

Hawaii's shoulders slumped a bit, as the stuffed sheep in her arms sank with them. Hawaii had grown, and now stood at the height of my elbows. She had gotten feisty, she would talk back, and she was developing that same distance for Cabi that I had. I noticed that her mood hadn't been the best, ever since she was separated from her father. It was as if he was her life line, and when he died, her happiness died with him.

Hawaii pondered for a minute, before she tapped Cabi's leg and lifted her sheep up to her, "Mr.Fluffy will help you!"

"I said not now." Cabi snapped, as she glowered down at the little girl.