Chapter 20

America's P.O.V

"Are you sure this is a good idea?"

I tilted my head to the side, as Russia and I walked down a few flights of stairs. The halls that we stumbled through were well lit, but also unwelcoming. They reminded me of an insane asylum; no windows, all white, and devoid of life.

"What are you on about?" I responded. I could see from the way he toyed and plucked at his lip that whatever was worrying him was concerning.

"I just," He glanced down at the ground, as if the words he was trying to convey were written where he was stepping. "Even if there will be people outside ready to intervene if anything goes wrong, I still don't like the idea of being alone with her."

Ah, so that's it.

I wrapped my fingers in between his and clutched them tightly, "I'll be in there with you, and her hands will be handcuffed the entire time. Even if she wanted to do something, she won't be able to."

"Okay, whatever you say..." My lover faltered.

Before I could object to his pessimistic outlook, we were already approaching the door to our destination. A couple of guards outside respectfully nodded to us, while one of them opened up, "Fifteen minutes, I'll call you outside when time is up."

"Thank you." I murmured to the first guard, as the door was shut behind us.

My eyes narrowed in on the woman in the chair. She seemed to stiffen when we entered the room, but her composure was as solid as ever. Her eyepatch was missing, or rather it was confiscated, so I could see the fleshy bulge that laid below it. It reminded me of a heart, a pulsating, wounded heart. She was in a simple t-shirt and some pocketless pants. Her hair was loose and frizzy, as it's different hues drifted downwards to the ends.

"Cabinet, I bet that you know why we're here, am I right?" I plopped down in the chair opposite of her. My hand dragged Russia to sit in the seat next to mine.

The blue, white, and red country huffed, "Yeah, you want an explanation, why I did what I did, the whole spiel really."

My head lifted up and fell back down to affirm her claim, "Exactly, so, why did you decide to take over my country? Like, why not a weaker, more insignificant place that would be susceptible to a change in government?"

"Ah, so you want the obvious first," A small grin looped over her cheeks. "Okay. Simple, I was told to. I was following orders."

My eyebrows furrowed, I never considered the idea of her just being a puppet to someone else. I mean, she looked like the puppet master, the one in control, not a victim of someone higher up.

"Who told you then?" Russia asked. His tone was much harsher than mine. It wasn't really a question, but more like a demand.

"Cool your jets. There's really only one possibility when you think of the amount of money that this big heist would require. It was the richest one percent of your population. Well, maybe not the big guys, but certainly sizable figures."

Her answer didn't surprise me. I had wondered about how she had gotten the spending money that she had. But it also made me freeze up, to think that they had this kind of power over everything was truly horrifying to think about.

"They were also the ones who created me. Unlike the both of you, I don't have parents that are or were countries." She added off-handedly. "They also raised me, destroyed my right eye, and robbed me of my liberties by saying 'I owed them for my life' and that they could take it away if they wanted."