Dragon Rage!

You shook your head. Even if James did have feelings for you in return, there was no way he'd have the courage to tell you. And you'd never have the courage to tell him. Jessie would, you thought, thinking about all the times she had hinted at it. Still, you didn't get your hopes up. James was much too cool for you, and you weren't even half as pretty as he was.

"Jessieeee, you're mean!"

You snapped out of it and brought yourself back to reality. Jessie was making little faces and gestures with what body parts she had available. After doubling over in laughter, she finally stopped.

"Hey Gyarados, can you let us down?" you asked it. Gyarados roared, presumably a 'yes' of sorts, as it lowered its head. You and James dismounted and landed on the raft.

"That's a really strong Gyarados. I would know, I know all about Water Pokémon," Misty noted, a little smugly.

You roll your eyes. James walked over to everyone. "Gyarados said it's happy to push the raft if we wanna try and look for dry land!" James announced happily.

"That's great!" Ash said, "lead the way, Gyarados!"

Gyarados pushed the raft for what seemed like forever. You had quickly grown impatient of the loud ocean waves and scorching hot sun. Waves often splashed onto the raft, and everyone was wet and smelled of saltwater. Luckily, your Pokédex was waterproof, and you were able to check the time. Two and a half hours, you thought, two and a half hours since dry land. More, since the St. Anne doesn't really count. At first, everyone had chatted and admired the ocean. It sped up the time, but hadn't worked for long.

"Gyarados, are you okay? You should take a rest," James said, walking to Gyarados.

Gyarados gave a soft sort of purr, and happily returned to its Pokéball. The raft lost its momentum and slowed, waves no-longer splashing it. Misty stretched. "What should we do now while Gyarados is resting?" she asked.

"We could take a rest ourselves. Sleep is very important if we want to stay alive," Brock answered seriously.

"Forget about sleeping, what about eating?!" Jessie shrieked, "it's been nearly five hours since I last ate, at least you twerps stuffed yourselves full on the St. Anne!"

"Back to being twerps, are we?" Ash snapped.

"As if you thought Y/n was the 'lasting peace bond' that would make us all 'very happy friends'," Jessie mocked in a baby voice.

"Well guess what, we actually followed the twerpette's truce!" James followed up angrily.

"That's hilarious, Team Rocket being friends with the twerps? What a joke," Meowth snickered.

"Well what about you, Y/n?" Misty asked you, "who are you siding with? Them, or us?"

You felt your face flush red. "I- um- I really don't think I should-

"DECIDE!" they snapped.

"I- uh," you trailed off, looking for a way out of this mess, "isn't escaping this ocean alive what we want? There's no point in fighting if we're going to be stuck here the whole time."

Through the commotion, no-one had realised what was gathering right under their noses. The news of James's Gyarados helping humans had spread across the ocean. The Gyarados of the sea were infuriated, and stalked their raft. A chorus of roars pierced through the sky.

Everyone jumped. You jealously narrowed your eyes at Jessie and James, who had very suddenly 'fear-hugged'. Brock was on top of your and his hands were questionably close to your chest. You pushed him off and stared, horror-struck, at the sea monsters above you.

"Gyarados," Ash whispered.

"They said they're angry at Jimmy's Gyarados for helpin' us humans out! Well joke's on you, I ain't a human!" Meowth yelled.

"What are they doing?" Jessie shrieked, as the Gyarados were spinning together in a circle. Before you could react, a sort of water-twister sprung from the ocean.

"I think- I think this is Dragon Rage!" Misty fretted.

"What's that?"

"Gyarados's ultimate attack! Sailors tell terrible stories about the Gyarados, no-one's ever gotten away!"

"Wha-What? I miss Magikarp!"

"Quick, we've got to escape!" you intervene.

"No-one's ever gotten away," Misty repeated solemnly.

And she was right. The spinning column of water swirled towards the raft, quick as a flash. Making split second decisions, you jumped to James as the raft was flung into the sky. Your hands brushed his arm and you just missed. You screamed his name and he screamed yours. Meowth cried out as well, though it was intelligible and you didn't pay it much heed, as you were flying through the air. Water splashed in your face and you tried to reach for something to grab.

Well, you did find something to grab.

But it happened to be a plank of wood.

And it smashed into your head.