Chapter 4

Chapter 4

  “America- big brother- get up please. It's been 6 hours…”

  “The floor is comfy.” I replied, slowly taking another bite from my chocolate bar.

  Canada's face was creased together with concern. His soft eyes gently pierced my soul as he looked down at my sad pathetic body curled up on the floor. He was right, I haven't really moved since I’d gotten the even worse news of my life. So here I was, curled up like a burrito in my Star Trek blanket on the floor, eating chocolate, and pretending like my problems didn't exist.

  “But you wont finish your satellite if you don't get up.” Canada frowned, shaking me lightly. “You've been working so hard on it don't give up now.”

  “Nothing matters anymore, go make some waffles or something.”

  Canada shifted his weight from kneeling to standing and his expression shifted. The same look my mom got before she said something that was most likely true, but I didn't want to hear it.

  “If you give up now you've already lost.”

‘Dammit…’

  A soft puff of air escaped my nose and I shook my head.

  “You don't understand how hard what I'm trying to do is.”

  “‘I'm trying’. Not ‘I was trying’, which means you still haven't given up yet.” Canada smiled and walked out the door, leaving me in a pool of disbelief.

“I have all your data and equipment uploaded to my systems. You may assemble your satellite and launch it now.” A somehow slightly amused robotic voice rang out. “He is right. There is still time for us to complete our goal.”

  “....”

  “Fine…”

  I dragged myself from the blanket and set the chocolate on the floor for later.

  My body felt drowsy but stiff from laying there so long but I stumbled over anyways. I disconnected the stuff Id processed last night and just muttered about how stupid all of this was. Not wanting to admit, deep down, Canada was right.

  I snuck down to the garage and looked down at my beautiful baby- er- satellite. It really would be a waste to get rid of it. Sighing, I rolled up my sleeves and got down to business. I had a commie to beat.

  It took me only a few hours until I was finished and it was a sight to behold.

  Long, sleek, beautifully painted by yours truly. I had no idea how to get it out though. I could probably launch it at the airport, wasn't the first time I'd snuck on property to use for test runs. Now I just needed to somehow find a truck....and a driver.

  I pulled out my phone and scrolled through the contact list. I pressed ‘Call’ and held the phone up to my ear.

  “Hey Uncle, I need a favor.”
________________________________________

  “Im guessing your parents don't know about this since its 3:00 in the morning and you've called me all the way out here to help you sneak into the airport to launch whatever this thing is?”

  “Well uh… thats why you're my favorite uncle.” I smirked, looking out the window, secretly hiding my anticipation as we drove along the long and winding road.

  Portugal chuckled and ruffled my hair.

  He and my mom had an… interesting past from the bits and pieces I'd heard over the years. Going from fighting on the same side in wars to having full blowouts and not talking for years. He didn't come over much, it made things a little awkward with mom since she didn't always know what to say to him.