Chapter 7. When All Hell Breaks Loose

I couldn't breathe.

A loud terrifying ding activated the elevator doors and it felt like time stopped. To make matters worse, the doors were pulling apart so damn slowly that I bet the electricity was giving out in the entire building.

My heart started racing when I saw a horde of them piling up at the door, each one of them with their greedy hands animatedly groping around. I unconsciously grabbed Ray's hand in mine and he gripped back even tighter.

Once the doors opened wide enough for us to get through, I let out a breath.

It was now or never.

Right as one of those things set a foot in, I saw our opening and knew we had to go for it.

"Duck and crawl, Ray!" I screamed and dragged him down to the ground with me.

Once my stomach hit the filthy tile floor I started crawling around using my arms to push through the first pair of rotting feet I came to. My foot hooked onto one of their decaying ankles and I used the opportunity to trip it and knock it to the floor.

I couldn't get a strong enough grip with my slippers but eventually managed to push through myself to each opening I could find. I had to eventually stop and take a breather from the amount of energy it took. I swore to myself to never wear these kinds of weak ass shoes again.

I barely had enough time to think before I saw two smaller ones who look like they used to be kids. They were just staring. And...smiling? Smiling at me with those empty dead white eyes.

"Jesus." I muttered under my breath before scrambling back to all fours and crawling back through another pair of feet.

The man let out a startled grunt when he saw me and began to slowly turn his body around, trying to grab me with his grubby hands. I tried to crawl faster to dodge out of the way but two others saw me and started chasing after me too. I couldn't react fast enough as I watched them crash into each other and then tumble into the man above me.

All three of their heavy bodies fell down right on top of me, crushing my back and pinning me on the floor underneath them.

The air whooshed right out of my lungs and an excruciating pain shot through my ribs. Warm liquid dripped down my chin and my eyes burned with tears when I realized that I bit the hell out of my tongue when we landed.

"This fucking sucks." I groaned in pain. Coughing and out of breath, I placed my hands flat on the ground to pull myself up but my arms wobbled like jelly when I tried to squeeze out from under them.

All of them were groaning silently but otherwise stayed immobile and dazed until I was finally able to squirm.

I got back up to my feet clutching onto my side and stumbled over to a deserted gritty column. I pressed my back against it, letting my feet fall from under me and sank down to the floor. Everything was fuzzy and out of focus in front of me. I rubbed my eyes and then finally spotted a clearing leading straight to the exit. Relief and then panic surged through me, and I looked behind me to see if Ray was close by.

But I couldn't see him anywhere.

I scrambled back to my feet and spun around in all directions, my eyes searching frantically through the mosh pit of bodies.

"Oh God...Ray?! Ray, where are you?!!"

Nothing.

"Ray! Answer me damn it!" I shouted. I would never forgive myself if something happened to him! How could I be so careless?! Why didn't I look behind sooner?

"Ray?!" I screamed. More and more faces were turning their cold dead stare towards me. I knew a crowd of the deadheads would soon be on my ass for yelling but right now I didn't care. I kept my distance, scanning every head in search of his beanie.