Chapter 28

I woke up the next morning much more refreshed. I had come up from dinner and almost immediately fallen asleep, both my mind and body felt drained.

I got dressed quickly into a pair of black high-waisted denim shorts, black crop t-shirt and threw a red checked flannel shirt over the top. I grabbed a choker necklace and did a quick winged liner.

I knew dad left early and since Brie couldn’t take me I wasn’t going to risk having to go with Jayce.

Milo was staying home from school for the week but you’d never guess he was in a car accident a few days ago with the way he was running around the kitchen chasing after dad for the last chocolate chip muffin.

I grabbed a blueberry one from the box when they finally settled down and got a bottle of water from the fridge.

“Dad can you drop me off on your way in?”

“Of course poppet, I’m literally leaving now though so you good to go?”

I walk over to Milo and give him a quick kiss on the head then grab an apple from the bowl and throw it in my bag.

“Now I am.” And I gesture to the door.

Dad gives Tara a quick kiss with muffin crumbs still on his face before we go to the garage.

On the way we walk past Jayce’s mustang which is now on the drive. So I guess he did come home last night but he still didn’t bother to talk to me.

Coward.

Dad notices the scratches on the passenger door from it hitting the garage wall. I feel a pang of guilt, I know how much he loves that car. I need to ask Brie to get me a quote from the guy that did hers to get it fixed. I’m the one who panicked and smashed it into a wall, he shouldn’t have to pay to get it fixed.

I love the smell of dad’s works van – a mix of sawdust and old paint.

We listened to the radio but didn’t talk for the ride. It wasn’t awkward, it was comfortable and familiar.

That was the best thing about dad, I knew if I needed too I could tell him anything but he never questioned me on my life. He’d always wait for me to come to him, he trusted me to make good choices so he never felt the need to interfere.

Losing mum had made him fiercely protective over me though. I knew what Tara said last night was true, if he found out about me and Jayce he’d move us away from the Manor. He only had two rules – no job’s and no boyfriends until I graduated. He wanted me focused.

I understood, dad was far more intelligent than people knew, the job he was in suited him but he hadn’t had the chance to go to college. He’d had to work really hard to work his way up from the bottom of the company and even though everyone around him loved and respected him, I think he always knew he could do more. He didn’t want that for me.

We pull up to the school. “You good to get home tonight? I’m on a late one or I’d offer to come get you.”

I give him a quick peck on the cheek. “I’m fine to get back, I’ll see you tonight,  love you.”

“I love you too poppet.”

It was weird being in this early, there was hardly anyone around. I walked over to the bench outside the gym to enjoy the sun and my muffin. I was half way through when the doors behind me swung open with a bang causing me to jump and drop the other half on the floor.

“Oh for fuck sake, why won’t anyone let me finish a snack?!” I pouted at my muffin as it sat amongst the dew soaked grass.

Voices caused me to turn back to the doors. I could see Chad and Coach Wilson talking. I really needed to speak to Coach and see how much trouble we were in from our little show yesterday. If a punishment was to be given I wanted him to know it was all my idea.