Chapter 13

Kokichi and Kaito sat opposite of each other in a booth, Kokichi playing with his food. The two didn't speak to each pther for a while after their food arrived. The silence was heavy and uncomfortable, yet neither of the two knew what to say. Kokichi was the first one to speak.

"Hey, Kaito. I'm sorry for keeping shit from you. And for yelling at you. And for calling you names," Kokichi muttered, sinking a little back into his seat with each point he made.

"Nah, it's my bad. I shouldn't have expected you to just tell me everything. It was dumb," Kaito replied. 

The two went back to being quiet, not knowing what else to say. The tension between the two lessened, although it was still uncomfortable. Soon, Kaito called over the waitress who had been working and asked her for the bill. He paid for their food and the two left the diner.

They stood outside and Kaito checked his phone for the time. He turned to Kokichi. "Hey, I can wait with you while you wait for Miu to come and get you," Kaito offered, glancing down at Kokichi. Kokichi remained silent. "Kokichi?"

"I wanna go home," Kokichi muttered.

Kaito raised a brow and smiled. After a moment, he smiled and pat Kokichi on the head. "Yeah. Let's go home." Kaito grabbed the smaller boy's hand and the two walked to his car. The astronaut started up the car and dusted the passengers seat off, tossing some extra things into the backseat. "Sorry, car's a mess," he says.

Kokichi sat down in the passenger seat and played with his hands. as Kaito started up the car. The car ride home was quiet, not even the radio was playing. Kokichi stared out the window and played with his hair. 

They soon arrived at the house and Kokichi stared out the window at it. He never knew he'd miss a place so much, bit he was here and he was home.

Kokichi hopped out of the car excitedly and rushed to the door, waiting for Kaito to unlock the door for him. Kaito closed the car doors and made his way o the door, unlocking it and stepping to the side as the small purple haired boy rushed into the house, searching for Bean. He found the kitten in the living room and picked him up, the small cat pawing at Kokichi's hands.

Kaito closed and locked the door behind them and tossed his keys to the side. He smiled and pat Kokichi on the head. "I'm gonna head to sleep, Kokichi. G'night."

Kokichi waved to Kaito and carried Bean to his room. He sat down on his bed, laying the cat gently in his lap. He smiled and began telling Bean all about the time while he was away, about what he did, how he felt. He spilled it all to Bean. When he was done and tired, he laid back on his bed and fell asleep.

⋆☆★☆⋆

Kokichi was awake. It was late and he couldn't fall back asleep. After turning around in his bed, he decided to get up and go to the roof. 

Throwing off the covers, Kokichi headed outside and began climbing up onto the roof. 

He saw Kaito up there.

Kaito looked at Kokichi and scooted over, making room for him. Kokichi climbed up and sat by Kaito, pulling his knees to his chest.

"Couldn't sleep?" Kokichi asks.

"Yep," Kaito says, looking over at Kokichi.

There was a silence between the two. 

"I really am sorry for being so selfish back there. I was being a real asshole," Kaito sighed.

"Yeah, you were. But since you apologized so nicely, I suppose I'll forgive you this once!" Kokichi said.

Kaito chuckled and the two were back to being quiet.

"I meant it when I said I loved you. I don't expect a response, but I wanted you to know," Kaito says.

"I know," Kokichi says, glancing down at his feet. "And it was easier to pretend you were lying because I didn't want to disappoint you," Kokichi mumbles, tracing shapes on the roof tiles.

After  few moments, Kaito slid a little closer to Kokichi, bumping against him gently. "You know, maybe I could take out this guy I like on a date to a cool restaurant and not be late this time," Kaito hummed, looking at Kokichi.

"Is Kaito Momota asking me out on a date?" Kokichi asks.

"That is a possibility, yes," Kaito says.

"Then I just might have to accept and see just how good the ultimate astronaut is at dating, then," Kokichi says.

⋆☆★☆⋆

This ending was so rushed. I won't lie, I've lost interest in it. I've been focusing more on my newer Oumota fic and a different project I have coming up. So this was mostly just to free myself of this fic at last.